HPE EVA Storage
1753445 Members
5273 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: is it possible to Team NIC's for iSCSI ports?

SOLVED
Go to solution
sugar_2
Advisor

is it possible to Team NIC's for iSCSI ports?

Hi to all, I was wondering if its possible to TEAM two or more NIC's in Windows 2003 for the iSCSI ports, or they must be a single one NIC for each iSCI port?

thanks in advance =)
15 REPLIES 15
sugar_2
Advisor

Note:
For this setup I have

- Two DL380G6 Servers
- One MSA 2012i (with two controllers)
- Windows 2003 Enterprise R2
- Two ProCurve 3400 CL Giga Switches
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Microsoft does not like NIC teaming ;-)

They ask you to configure both NICs in their iSCSI initiator with MPIO.

(What do you mean by 'iSCSI port'?)
sugar_2
Advisor

I am sorry if I didn't explained correctly,

I have a server with 8 giga NIC's, I setup in Teams (Load balanced and Failover withour need to program switch) of two for each network connection, for instance:
- Team#1 with two NIC's is for subnet 192.168.10.0
- Team#2 with two NIC's is for subnet 172.10.2.0

They are working great, but when I tried to do the same for the NIC's that are connected to the iSCSI SAN giga switch, it didn't worked, so I am not sure if I can do the NIC teamming for the iSCSI NIC's...
sugar_2
Advisor

I forgot to mention that I attached a screen cap of My current NIC Team.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I think the Transmit Load Balancing (TLB) causes the same MAC address (of the pseudo interface) to be sent across both physical NIC ports. That only works when you connect both NICs to one switch or a pair of 'stacked' switches.

Otherwise the switches become confuse because the same MAC addresses appear on multiple ports.

This will not happen when you don't use low-level adapter teaming, give each NIC port its own IP address and use the iSCSI initiator's load balancing.
sugar_2
Advisor

ohhh, so I can add let's say add two NIC's for each iSCI adapter with their own IP and then use the iSCSI initiator failover?

what do you recommend me? Round Robin?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes, when you are on the "Add Target Portal" window you can press the [Advanced] button and then define which IP address(es) should connect to the target port.

I recommend you try out the initiator's simple failover and Round Robin to see what work's best for you.
sugar_2
Advisor

thanks a lot! I will try it =)
sugar_2
Advisor

I am reading that in order to setup the Windows 2003 cluster I need to create an independent network for cluster communication heartbeat (in a different subnet that my other networks), my question is: can I create that network using one of my existing HP Proliant switches that I use for iSCSI? will that create network conflicts or must I use a separated network switch dedicated for heartbit network?