HPE EVA Storage

longwave gbic shows no activity

Harry  Annett
Occasional Contributor

longwave gbic shows no activity

Hi

We have installed 1 longwave GBIC(4 GB) on a Brocade 4100 and at another site installed 1 longwave GBIC(4 GB) on a Brocade 4100 switch. We get no connectivity light nor any indication that any of the longwaves are functioning. Are there special configurations required for longwave gbics?
6 REPLIES 6
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Re: longwave gbic shows no activity

first, you need to set long distance mode (LD) for the ports. you will also probably need an extended fabric licence. Also you don't give a distance between sites, not all GBICs cover the same range, if lacking in power then no signal, you may need an active transceiver.

@Larry:
would an extended license be neccessary also for "short" connections of 270m?

Background: we have 2 DCs with 270m of MultiMode-LWL connection between them, that can run 4GB/s ISL.
when we would exchange the 4GB-Switches with 8GB, then I see only 2 choices (because 8GB won't run on that distance on multimode):
- trunk 2 ports to get a total of 8GB ISL (this requires 2 truncing licenses)
- use longwave SFP on single-mode LWL
(here I thought I'd NOT need any extra license).

Can you comment?
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Hi B. well if the trunking licences are going to hurt the purse, how about 2 ISLs in seperate zones, depends on the bandwith needs etc. trunking is better though, since the distance is fairly short you could probably treat it as a local fabric.

> ISLs in seperate zones

I don't think you can do traffic engineering with simple zones.
S. Boetticher
Regular Advisor

I'm still a bit puzzled, up to now we only zone server HBAs to EVA-ports and tape devices. for the single-port ISLs (only 1 cable between each switch) the Ports were simply changed to E-ports and that's it.

Do we make something wrong?

And what would happen with 2 cables (E-ports) between a pair of switches without trunking license?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

No, that is perfect.

You mean what will happen if you run two ISLs in parallel? Nothing terrible.

As far as I can tell (never bothered with the exact details or can't remember right now): when devices log in, they are assigned an ISL in round-robin fashion. That's why you might see one ISL at 100% and the other at 0%. Depending on the switches you can run up to 8 or even more ISLs in parallel.

Some things have changed with features like exchange-based load balancing, but some functions like CA-EVA don't not like it - so you have to turn it off.

Trunking is a low-level feature which is transparent to the routing.