1753943 Members
8333 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

migrating from PID Extended Edge Format to PID Core format

Regis Carlier

migrating from PID Extended Edge Format to PID Core format

Hi to all,

I've got fabrics configured with PID format 2 (Extended Edge ) FOS 5.0.3a .

I need to upgrade to release 6.xxx . The PID format 2 is not supported and I need to migrate to Core format .

What is the impact of the migration from format 2 to format 1 ???

As I understand , format 2 uses the same adressing model than native mode .

Is this the same as from native to core migration ?

I've got many HPUX and AIX hosts connected :-(

TIA , Reg/
1 REPLY 1
krusty
Honored Contributor

Re: migrating from PID Extended Edge Format to PID Core format

Hi Regis,

When you change the PID format, the "path" to the SAN devices change.

On HP-UX 11i v2 (aka 11.23) and earlier, the LUN is bound to the OS using the path to the target (using the PID), so a vgexport/vgimport would be required (or alternate "online" method - see below)

On HP-UX 11i v3 - the LUN is now bound using the WWID, so this could be don't online without an issue.

On older AIX (I'm not sure of the version of when the switch was made - maybe an AIX SA could help out here - I think it was in the 5.X range though) - same issues as older HP-UX. You would need to varyoff the VG, then you cfgmgr to rebuld the bindings, then varyon the VG.

On newer AIX - the LUN is now bound using the WWID, so this could be don't online without an issue.

An alternative method is to change the PID by fabric. This requires dual HBAs on the hosts and a dual fabric SAN. This is a high level overview of the process, but I think you'll understand what's going on.

Basically you just do one fabric, then do some configuration on the host side to get the new pathing in place and add that path to the VG, then perform that on the other fabric. If you have a lot of hosts, it can take a while, but it can be done without downtime.

Good Luck,

Curt

"In Vino Veritas"