HPE EVA Storage
1753404 Members
6983 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: move disk enclosure between eva4400 SANs

mokabaddi

move disk enclosure between eva4400 SANs

I would like to know how I would be able to remove a disk enclusure from 1 EVA4400 and attach it to another EVA4400.

We have 2 SANs, each with 2 shelves. A primary SAN and a secondary SAN. The primary SAN is completely populated with disks. The secondary SAN has 50% of the slots free.

My plan was to move all the disks from the 2nd Shelf on the secondary SAN to the first shelf and then remove the Shelf.

I would then add the new shelf to the primary SAN.

I've read a few things on forums about adding a shelf but not about removing a shelf. Has anyone got any experience of this and any pointers.

The other issue I have is that when I add the new shelf to the primary SAN, the original shelves have 12 disks each, but the new shelf will only have 4 disks to begin with. Does this make a major impact on the performance of the SAN as its always recommended to keep the disk distribution even.

Any pointers on this would be much appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
Bert Zefat
Advisor

mokabaddi,

Just make sure all disks in the shelf you want to remove are ungrouped on the first EVA.

Best is to remove the shelf after a tota powerdown of the fist EVA. After startup, all should work fine.

Adding the shelf to the second EVA is like all other document describe. At least have 2 disks inside de shelf when it starts and is seen bij the controllers. This can be done online, but if it is possible, do this offline.
ks6542
Valued Contributor