New Discussion юеВ

Re: msa1000 dual controller active state flapping

SOLVED
Go to solution
easynet
Advisor

msa1000 dual controller active state flapping

hi,

i have an msa1000 dual controller and 1 2/8 brocade. inserting the second controller, they went in active/passive mode. i tested the failover system ejecting the active controller and the failover goes up. but when i insert the controller again, they flap the active state every 1 minutes, so now i ejected the failover controller to have stability. how can i resolve ?
11 REPLIES 11
Amol Garge
Trusted Contributor
Solution

ok, 2/8 seems like an internal MSA switch. If yes, then you will need two of these as the controllers do not communicate with the same switch from the single bay.

Now, assuming that you do not have any hosts connected to it(since you pulled out the active controller to check the failover).

Shut down the MSA and insert only single controller.
easynet
Advisor

yes, it is. infact a connected an i/o module and a fiber channel cable from it to the switch 2/8. it works and the controllers comunicate with the esxi nodes well. the first time i inserted the failover one, they do no flap, only afther fail test, now they flap
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

You don't say what firmware your controllers have, 4.xx = pull out the controller to fail over, 5.xx do NOT as they work very diffrently and now have a shutdown/reboot command at the CLI to do failovers.

ok, in that case the first thing I would suspect the multipath setup on the ESX.

Do you have any preference setup on the server regarding the path/controller?

What is the firmware on the MSA controllers?
easynet
Advisor

=> controller wwn=500805F30000C141 show

MSA1000 at NWINETD001
Bus Interface: Fibre
WWN: 500805F30000C141
Serial Number: PB9840TX3TY0Y4
Chassis Serial Number: 8A23JN71B091
Chassis Name: NWINETD001
RAID 6 (ADG) Status: Enabled
SSP State: Enabled
Controller Status: OK
Chassis Slot: 1
Hardware Revision: Rev A
Firmware Version: 4.48
Rebuild Priority: High
Expand Priority: Medium
Surface Scan Delay: 3 sec
Cache Board Present: True
Cache Status: OK
Accelerator Ratio: 50/50 (read/write)
Read Cache Size: 128 MB
Write Cache Size: 128 MB
Total Cache Size: 256 MB
Battery Pack Count: 2
Battery Status: OK
Host Bus Adapter Slot: 3
Amol Garge
Trusted Contributor

ok, now I know the firmware on MSA is 4.48.
I want to know about ESX multipathing..
easynet
Advisor

i did not configured it on esxi nodes. infact when i ejected conttoller A, node didnt see the uuid, and only rebooting them the LUN where rescanned and esxi works again. but why moltipath can influence flapping ? before i removed controller A they where right !
Amol Garge
Trusted Contributor

Ok, now the problem is clear:
MSA1000 controller does not fail back automatically. The only active path it can see is from the previously active controller. Once you took it out, the OS didn't see the LUNs since the other path was not setup. Once you put back the original controller, there was nothing to tell the now active controller to failback and hence the LUN ownership started fluctuating between the two controllers.

Now, go ahead and setup multipath, so that there is a proper failover and manual failback if needed.
easynet
Advisor

ok, begin to manual failback . how can i say the msa1000 to failback primay state to controller A e failover state to controller B. i use acu-cli commands.