1748026 Members
3818 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: msa1000 rebuild rate

Hardydrewandthenancyboy
Frequent Advisor

msa1000 rebuild rate

I have an msa1000 with two connected disk array units. A three disk raid5 set with 10k 300gb disks had a single disk failure yesterday. I replaced it but so far rebuild has only achieved 5% in 16 hours. Is this normal rate? I raised the rebuild priority from low to high about two hours into the rebuild. Maybe this setting didnt take effect?
5 REPLIES 5

The change in the rebuild priority will take effect for the next rebuild process, so the one going on will remain in low priority. Under normal circumstances and MSA 1000 should rebuild at aprox 15minutes/GB, but if you had it in low priority and the array is constantly receiving IO, the process will be delayed since the IO requests have priority over the rebuild process. I recommend you to let it run and monitor it, as long as the completed percentage keeps increasing it is OK, I would worry if the process stalls completely for a really long time or if it fails or restarts.
Hardydrewandthenancyboy
Frequent Advisor

thanks - still only at 45% I'm going to have to stop and restart the current rebuild in order to get the higher prioriy to take effect. Otherwise I'm running on a SPF for another week.
Hardydrewandthenancyboy
Frequent Advisor

wow that was a mistake back to 13% after 24 hours. I guess this is the problem with having two connected arrays - the msa controller only has so much capacity.
Hardydrewandthenancyboy
Frequent Advisor

Wow - just finished rebuilding. That took quite a while.
Hardydrewandthenancyboy
Frequent Advisor

the slow rebuild performance must be down to other i/o