1747985 Members
4890 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

msa2324fc trigger vdisk rebuild from new spare disk

BradV
Esteemed Contributor

msa2324fc trigger vdisk rebuild from new spare disk

I have an array that had one disk in left over status and another disk failed. I managed to clear the metadata from the left over disk and assigned it as a spare to the vdisk with the failed drive. That was about 1/2 an hour ago. At what point will the controller pull it in to the vdisk to replace the failed drive? Do I need to send it a command to trigger this?
4 REPLIES 4

Re: msa2324fc trigger vdisk rebuild from new spare disk

If one or more drives fail in a redundant virtual disk (RAID 1, 3, 5, 6, 10, or 50) and
properly sized spares are available, the storage system automatically uses the spares
to reconstruct the virtual disk.

A properly sized spare is one whose capacity is equal to or greater than the smallest
drive in the virtual disk. If no properly sized spares are available, reconstruction
does not start automatically. To start reconstruction manually, replace each failed
drive and then do one of the following:

├в   Add each new drive as a vdisk spare (Manage > Virtual Disk Config > Vdisk
Configuration > Add Vdisk Spares) or a global spare (Manage > Virtual Disk Config > Global Spare Menu > Add Global Spares). Remember that a global spare might be taken by a different critical virtual disk than the one you intended.

├в   Enable the Dynamic Spare Configuration option on the Manage > General Config
> System Configuration page to use the new drives without designating them as spares.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
BradV
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the response. All the disks are of the same size and type. I have one marked as a global spare and one is available. The storage array just isn't incorporating them into the critical vdisk. We're still trying to figure out why the controller won't start using the global spare in the critical vdisk. Yes, the firmware is up to date.

The service tech is on the way with a replacement disk for the failed one. However, I am reluctant to have him swap it out until I get the vdisk in a non-critical state. A few months ago we hot swapped a failed disk and we lost all of the vdisks on the array. I know it shouldn't have happened, but it did. :(

The drive which is in available state...add the drive as global spare and check if it can taken by the vdisk.........or make any of the drives as dedicated spare for the critical vdisk and check.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
BradV
Esteemed Contributor

Apparently I had a drive assigned as a dedicated spare to the vdisk. When the one drive failed, it pulled in the spare disk and re-built the raid. We still aren't sure why it is showing the vdisk as being in a critical state, but that does explain why it hasn't pulled in the global spare to the vdisk. :)

Thank you for your suggestions!