4427 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: need informatio about SAN configuration

unixuser
Advisor

need informatio about SAN configuration

Hi,

i am new to SAN but i have basic information about SAN but we are planing for 2 SAN storage around 2 TB each , tape library , backup tool and software to manage all these , can any one guide me where i can get the clear information and i would like to know that whether each server needs license or not and i need any web site which give complete configuration information about that. thanks a lot in advance.

BEST REGARDS
4 REPLIES 4
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Have you already purchased the SAN hardware? If not are you looking for pre-sales information?

If you need general information about SANs (not vendor specific) then I'd recommend a SAN book for starters.

Not sure what server license you are referring to.

For technical information we really need the SAN model (EVA?) and if you will have Brocade or Cisco SAN switches (or other). Also what OS(s) will be running on the servers and if you plan to have just data on the SAN or also have BfS (Boot from SAN) which requires the OS to be on the SAN disk solution.
unixuser
Advisor

Hi,

thanks for response. we have not pruchase yet we are going to pruchase soon, we use SAN only for data storgae not BfS(boot from san).do you have idea about it requires license for per server either it may be nay unix flavor or window.thanks a lot
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

This all depends on your application requirements, would you agree?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Generally speaking... Boot from SAN does not require any additional licenses in order to be able to BfS.

If you do not have a vendor to buy from yet, you should contact HP to have them help you find a vendor in your area that can provide pre-sales support and eventual post sales support

Without knowing more about your environment, I am hesitant to make any assumtions and/or suggestions.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)