HPE EVA Storage

need windows server 2003 drivers for msa fabric switch 6

Matt26
Frequent Visitor

need windows server 2003 drivers for msa fabric switch 6

i've recently set up a storageworks modular san array 1000  (using an MSA fabric switch 6) with a proliant DL360 G2 server running windows server 2003 R2 with all of the latest updates.  the san array used to be connected to the same server in the past (with windows 2000 advanced server OS) but has since had the original arrays removed and a new one created.

i see an add new hardware prompt from windows for the "compaq msa fabric switch 6 scsi enclosure device", however i haven't been able to locate the driver software that it's looking for.

i've tried installing the drivers from both of these sources, including the windows event notification service included with the 755B version, but no luck so far.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=305215&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=377751&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005

i can use the array configuration utility to manage the san and its array, but not through windows.

is anyone able to help me to locate the proper driver software?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: need windows server 2003 drivers for msa fabric switch 6

Maybe there is something on the CD:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=de&cc=de&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=377751&swItem=co-70653-1&prodNameId=305215&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0

IMHO this would be a dummy driver only.

If ACU from the server cannot detect the array, you probably have a zoning or SSP problem - check this.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Matt26
Frequent Visitor

thanks, i tried the installer that comes with this download but it failed at step 2 "check system for installed items" with a status of "discovery failed".

i also tried installing the drivers from device manager in windows, by manually specifying the directory where i extracted the files, but that failed as well.

ultimately, i'm trying to get windows to recognize the san array, but if i look at disk management under computer management it only shows the local hard drive installed in the server.

i can manage the array if i open the ACU from windows- this is how i deleted the last array and built the new one.

do i need the driver software for this "compaq msa fabric sw 6 scsi enclosure device" under the device manager in order to access the array from windows- so that it shows up under My Computer- or is there something else that i need to do?

thanks again.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

So the server cannot see the disks on the SAN?

What you need to do is create a logical drive in an array and then present this logical drive / LUN to the server via SSP - is that done?
Matt26
Frequent Visitor

correct... windows cannot see the disk- only through the ACU.

i don't think the SSP step has been done- i set up the array and then created one logical drive in the array.  what is SSP?  i'm not familiar with it.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

selective storage presentation. Server A is allowed to "see" LUN1, but not LUN2 or no LUN at all etc ... Check the status of SSP and consider to disable SSP for testing.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Yeup, basically you say which WWN that the MSA can see is allowed to use the LUN.

Matt26
Frequent Visitor

thanks for the help with this- i disabled SSP and the drive showed up!

my only issue now is that the drive isn't showing the correct volume capacity under My Computer... the array (striped) has a number of physical drives which add up to just under a terabyte in total, but i'm only seeing 339 GB total capacity available under My Computer for the volume- file compression is also enabled for the volume.

any ideas?

thanks again!

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Great!
Update Windows is probably first thing you want to do. But you may have to right-click on the disk in disk management and set it to the right type.
Matt26
Frequent Visitor

i've installed all available windows updates, but no change.

under disk management in Windows, the volume is set to dynamic for 'type' and simple for 'layout'- do these settings need to be changed?