New Discussion юеВ

replacing disks in MSA2000

SOLVED
Go to solution
glennix
Occasional Advisor

replacing disks in MSA2000

Hi.

We have a disk that has failed twice but has recovered. Can this disk be replaced pro-actively? I mean even though it has not failed completely? Or should it be failed forcefully first? If this is the case, how do i go about forcing it to fail?

thanks and best regards!
4 REPLIES 4
Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: replacing disks in MSA2000

Hi, if you remove it from the enclosure, then it will definitely fail! ;-)

Just make sure the other disks are in a valid RAID configuration before doing it, of course.

A tip: when you'll insert the new disk, you'll have to assign it as "hot spare" for the Virtual Disk it belongs to. If you don't do this, the reconstruction of the disk won't start automatically (as one would probably expect).

HTH

glennix
Occasional Advisor

thanks very mcuh for your reply.

so there's no other "more garceful" way to forcefully fail the disk? like in the management console or something? :)

If i enable Dynamic Spare Configuration in Manage -> General Config -> System Configuration, will it automatically rebuild w/o the need to add the new disk as a spare manually?
Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Don't worry, just remove it (as long as the other disks are in RAID and are in an OK status).

Dynamic Spare Config is something that you plan and configure to PREVENT, but in this case you'll be physically there, so I'd just take out the broken one, check on the SMU console that the position became available, put in the new disk, check that it is recognized, and then assign it as spare.

If you put in the spare disk in a different position BEFORE taking out the broken one, and you enable dynamic spare, it will work anyway, but you'll have to keep the disks in those positions afterwards. It's your choice!

Cheers.
glennix
Occasional Advisor

thanks!