108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: replacing switches

SOLVED
Go to solution
Doug Wilburn
Advisor

replacing switches

I have EVA6400 and two C7000 enclosures using brocade 4/24 interconnect san switches. I have dual fabrics with brocade 4/32 switches. I want to replace the 4/32's with 8/40's. I have upgraded all FOS's to 6.2.2b. Bfore replacing 4/32's with 8/40's, I'm trying to configupload from 4/32's to my pc, then configdownload from my pc to the 8/40's so the zoning will alerady be there on the 8/40's when I start swapping cables. The configupload on 4/32's went fine but when doing configdownload to 8/40s, I get this error: "Process function of configdownload failed for filter ts, lrc = -1". Please assist.
11 REPLIES 11
kalogeras
Advisor

The best is to cascade the 8/40 with the 4/32 and the configuration will be uploded to the new switches. Important to set the domain ID on the on the 8/40's to be different from 4/32's before the cascade. Verify that the configuration is uploaded and then disconnect do the cabling. Then disconnect the 4/32's.
Doug Wilburn
Advisor

I apologize for the ignorance - I'm fairly new to storage admin. Exactly, how do I cascade the switches?
kalogeras
Advisor
Solution

To Cascade the switches you have to connect port0 of 4/32 to port0 of 8/40. Before doing that open 4/32 switch gui or cli and write down the domain id. If is set to 1 configure 8/40 switch domain id to be 2. If you have more switches connected together in the same fabric write also down the domain id's of all the switches and set the new switch to different value. This is very important. After cascading the swithces you will see that all zoning configuration of 4/32 will be copy to 8/40 San switch.
Refer to the following pdf how to change the domain id.

Page 3-5.

http://www.filibeto.org/sun/lib/nonsun/brocade/manuals/2.6/53_0000196_02.pdf

Good Luck.
kalogeras
Advisor

I forgot something. The zoning configuration must be hard zoning and not port zoning. Hard zoning is when you assing in each zone wwn's of Host Bus Adapters and port zoning is when you assign phisical ports of the switch. If you use port zoning you have to recreate the zones. If is hard zoning it will work after the new configuration is applied to the new switch. Swapping the cables to the new switch you will not have any problems. All servers will work.
Doug Wilburn
Advisor

Great. Exactly what I was looking for. By the way, our zoning is by WWID, not port.
Marcus Schack
Trusted Contributor

Basic things to remember when adding switches to an exisiting fabric.
1) Change switch IP to something unique
2) Change Domain ID to something unique
3) New switch must be empty of any zoning info, otherwise it will not accept the zoning info frmo the existing switch(es)
4) Set date and time on the new switch
5) Enable Port Based Routing
kalogeras
Advisor

Yes Doug. If you follow the steps you mentioned you will connect the new switches. Is an easy task and the most safe to avoid problems with your SAN fabric.

Doug Wilburn
Advisor

You've both been very helpful but I have one more question. You mentioned "enable port based routing" - what does that mean? I looked at the current configs and all the switches show exchange based routing. Is this bad and so I still need to change to port based routing?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It is bad if you are using some replication products, e.g. CA-EVA.

To change:
> switchdisable
> aptpolicy 1
maybe:
> dlsreset
most likely not needed:
> iodset
and then
> switchenable