HPE EVA Storage
1748200 Members
3684 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: reset password for san switch

reset password for san switch

Hi everybody,

i have a 8/8 san switch. i forgot the password of root, admin. i want to reset without rebooting the switch. there is a reset button in the switch but if i press the switch it will go factory default. but i don't want that. beacuse there are some configuration there. at this moment how i reset the password without touching my configuration or u can say that without rebooting the switch????

Please can anyone help me regarding the above issue. it's very urgent.

BR,

Arafat

9 REPLIES 9
Ivan Lyanguzov
Valued Contributor

Hi Arafat!

It is not recommended to use root account on any B-series switch, admin should be used instead. If you have access to CLI with admin account, save your configuration to an FTP server (configupload), then you need to open support case, as root password reset is only possible from within bootloader with keyword provided by HP support. Root password reset usually doesn't bring switch to factory defaults, so 'configupload' is only necessary in case something goes wrong.

Ivan.

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your reply. i forgot the password for admin account and also root account. how i save the config? in the forum i got the procedure how to reset the all password. but for that reason i have to reboot the switch. so that i want to know how i reset password without rebooting. I also want to know that is there anything like primary CP and standby CP in the san switch. If then how i use them?????

Waiting for your reply.

Arafat

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, in the 8/8 there is no primary/standby CP, that is only for the directors (like the 4/256 and DCX). The "edge switches" only have one.

You could also try the user 'factory' and the password 'fibranne'. If neither of these work, you will have to reset it via the serial. You may be able to reset it via the serial without opening a case with HP. But this may differ between the different FOS versions and switch models. The instructions I've seen are very long but as far as I understand you've already found them? Sometimes the boot prom password is 'password' or nothing, just hit the ENTER.

Do you have more than one switch in the same fabric?
If so, you could save the config from the other switch and manually edit it to fit for your other one, in case you need to restore the config.

hi,

thanks for your reply. But when i enter the switch via serial it wants user name and password. but i forgot password. so how i reset then? is there any command to reboot the switch without entering the switch????? or enterinig via serial how i reset then????

Arafat

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi Mohammad,

you wrote this before:
" in the forum i got the procedure how to reset the all password. "

So you do not have the procedure?
Yes, you need to reboot the switch and with the serial cable.

Do you know what FOS version is on the switch?

Here is for 5.x:

http://community.brocade.com/docs/DOC-1644

This guide says that during the switch reboot you need to press ESC at the right time.

Hi Johan,
You didn't understand me. I got the document. But my query is if i have to manually reboot the switch or is there any procedure to reset? i know that after reboot i have to press esc to go to menu. My switch OS version is 6.2.0d.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

As you cannot access the management interface and run a 'reboot' command I guess you only have one option -> take out power cable.

Hi Johan,
If i take out power cable and reboot it, what about my switch configuration? it will be there or not?????
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, well,

If you're talking about stuff in 'configure' like fabric.ops then yes, they will be saved because whenever you've made a change to them they are saved directly, no need to 'write' as on cisco switches.

As for zoning, this depends if 'cfgsave' has been run.