New Discussion юеВ

safe IOPS

SOLVED
Go to solution
S. Boetticher
Regular Advisor

Re: safe IOPS

thx a lot.
so, the numbers from the table in your first post are 40% write, 60% read (they should include this important fact into the table)!

about fata/vr5:
can you also calculate our VTL EVA? EVA4400 with 96 1TB FATA in 1 DG, pure VR5.
according to the table at 40w/60r that should give 3264 IOPS, with backup blocksize 256KB would still give impressibe 816MB/s (we never saw that).
In order to reduce the load on the EVA with FATA and because our DB data is highly compressable we use HW-compression in the VTL, thus our EVA with FATA is still quick enough for our environment ;-)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> Unfortunately this is a situation often found in customers
> as they use FATA disks for backup

But that is one (if not T-H-E) recommended use by HP!

The EVA6400/8400 quickspecs still points to this January 2006 paper:

""Please see the following URL for more information on FATA drives, their uses and their benefits:
http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/5982-7353EN.pdf
""

One page 8:
""Tape drives continue to be an excellent choice for longer-term archiving data and longer-term security of data. However, with the availability of FATA disk storage users now have the option of using the lower cost FATA disks to stage backup, that is disk-to-disk backup, and then stage the lower cost copy of data to tape.""
Marcus Longardt
Advisor

I am glad that my thread can help someone.

Please tell me what's name of this Excel sheet is.

Thank you & regards
Marcus
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

The 60% read, 40% write is often taken as a typical workload and used on the calculations. Of course the ratios can be very different.

I found a nice chart showing how SafeIOPs change in RAID 5 (attached)

For 96 x 1 TB FATA disks, with 40% writes I get 3,286 IOPS. Sequential write performace is usually calculated as 10 MB/s per drive, so you should be able to get those 800 MB/s.

----------------------------

In response to Uwe post above: yes, yes, FATA disks are meant to be used as backup. I was remarking that the number of available IOPS decreases with the number of writes and can be as low as 15 per drive when doing 100% writes on a RAID 5 vdisk (as is often the case).
Marcus Longardt
Advisor

Mmh - the graph shows me, that with 100% write the safeIOPS are the max IOPS.

Unfortunately the Hit % of sageIOPS are not 100% when max IOPS = Diskgroup IOPS!!

Then the Hit % is under 100%

Any ideas?
PB75
Advisor
Solution

HP did a official storage performance monitoring assessement in our environment (two EVA8100 with CA).
They used the formula on the attached JPG to calculate the SafeIOPS
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Hi Marcus

You got some very good answers yet.
What about assigning some points to the posters?

Cheers
Pete
I love storage
Marcus Longardt
Advisor

@Pete:
Yes I have got a lot of answers, and I like this forum, because a lot of people are active on this board - but I don't think they do it for points!!

But to appease you, I submit the points a pair minutes before.

Regards
Marcus