108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: switch cables

unixuser
Advisor

switch cables

Hi all,

i am new to SAN but we SAN setup here so i need to know how we connect to
fc swicth from server and swicth to SAN storage.i came to know orrange cable are there.please correct me if i am wrong we have pair of orrange fiber cable wich is attach to switch.one cable goes to HBA of server and second goes to SAN storage of the same pair.quick reply will be highly appreciated.thanks a lot in advance.
8 REPLIES 8
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

The servers and the storage they want to access have to be connected to the same switch. Then on the switch web you must configure the zoning to determine what servers can access what storage devices.

There are several rules regading zoning, but the best way to comply with all is to create a zone for each pair of host HBA and storage device port.
Brian M Welch
Frequent Advisor

Also, make sure you properly configure the pathing software for the HBA's. What type of SAN are you using? Host OS?
unixuser
Advisor

Hi vcespon,

thanks a lot for quick response, But i little bit confused that as you said switch web mean any web based application just like HP command view for creating zone.in order to create zone we need wwn of the server and swicth port and we need to create a host and lun or vdisk.what i have idea to create zone is first a new attach server to switch then
1) create the host by any name example my server rx8640 then i get the my server name under Hosts
2) create vdisk or lun by specifying size
3) By using wwn of server do i need present
server to swicth port,if so please
tell me how do i get switch port mean
where in HP command view or do i need to
present server to LUN

please correct me if any thing wrong.and how many HBAs in one server and WWn (world wide number is associted to the HBA or HBAs
of server).thanks a lot in advance
unixuser
Advisor

Hi brain welch,

thanks you quick reply.as you said pathing software for the HBA's means mutipathing.we
HP eva 8000 SAN storage and HP-UX 11.31 os version.we use HP command view software to do taks.but i have dout that how do I create zone .can you please provide me step by step to create zone.qucik response will higly appreciated.thank
gstonian
Trusted Contributor

zoning is done in the fabric switches - what kind of switches do you have (Cisco/Brocade) ?

gstonian
Trusted Contributor

zoning is usually done in the fabric switches - what kind of switches do you have (Cisco/Brocade) ?

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Within Command View for EVA, when you attempt to Add a Host, if you do not see the port WWNs of the server, then the first thing to look for is zoning on your switches. Assuming zoning is configured on your switches, you need to add a zone on each switch that includes the EVA ports and server pWWN (port WWN) on that fabric.

You need to login to each switch and configure the zoning ON the switch.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Brian M Welch
Frequent Advisor

There are two types of zoning, where you tie down a WWN to a specific switch port, known as hard zoning, and soft zoning, which allows you to plug the fibre patch into any switch port. Soft zoning is fairly simple to configure using the web interface that you access in a browser by entering the IP address of the fibre switch. If you don't know the IP, connect by serial cable and obtain that info.