HPE EVA Storage
1748266 Members
3211 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: using a c-class blade brocade switch

finkployd

using a c-class blade brocade switch

So, I've been told to configure a new c-class brocade blade switch and have absolutley no idea where to begin :)

1) I have configured the networking... no worries
2) I have logged in and poked around. It is running FabOS v6.2.0d

So, how does this thing connect to my existing fabrics? It has 8 ports on the front which I presume I can connect as ISL to my core.. although I'd like some correcting if this isn't the case. I've changed the switchdomain so as to fit in with the existing fabrics. I have no trunking licenses so there goes that idea.

I seem to be lucky enough to have DPOD and the licenseport -show command indicates that 12 ports are provisioned with 9 available, although the output is confusing... why are 2 licenses held by offline ports?

Anyway, if someone could at least give me a heads-up as to what is happening here, I'd be really very appreciative. Basically:
How can I use this switch (connecting to existing fabrics)?
How do I zone clients in (I've seen the blade centre gui showing port-wwns, so I suppose I address those)?
Do my core switches need to be at 6.2.0d too (currently at 6.0.0c (EMC rebadged 4900s)?

many many thanks in advance

Fink.

ps: I've already seen the basic config guide: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=3759005&prodTypeId=3709945&objectID=c01717277#A5
7 REPLIES 7
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the SAN design guide could help you:http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00403562/c00403562.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

existing fabric connection:
ISL links (good idea is to have redundand ISLs)
if the distance of the switch is local to the existing fabric then normal mode should be used for the ISL ports, otherwise if there is the extended fabric license, the long distance E-port modes can be configured

POD licences:
it can be relocated to any of the port within the switch

PWWN zoning is a preferred option e.g. due to the security reasons

Same firmware version in the whole fabric
its good to have the same firmware version in the whole fabric, but it can be checked also at SPOCK:
http://h20272.www2.hp.com/

the pain is one part of the reality
finkployd

Thank you so much for the (really very quick) reply.... quick responses rule :)

I'm coming at this from an old school SAN brocade environment with soft/wwn zoning. I know that a host plugs into a port. That port can see other ports in its zone.

I look at the front of the c-class brocade unit and the 8 ports do not add up to the 16 slots available. I therefore conclude that I connect a couple of ports up to my core via ISLs.

Once connected to the core and with a non conflicting domain_id, I'm hoping the switch will burst into life. Is this an incorrect assumption?

Regarding DPOD... I'm thinking (doing a lot of thinking at the moment).. anyway, I'm thinking that as soon as I connect a port up, the port becomes active and takes up one of the 9 remaining licences (why 9).

I thank you very much for your input. I am very thankful.

Kind regards,

Fink.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
maybe this could help you too:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12480_div/12480_div.pdf
the pain is one part of the reality
Bharath_Pingali
Trusted Contributor

Hello fink,

The Brocade switch has 16 back end ports and 8 front end ports.

The back end port are connecting to the blades.

Just think about it like a 16 host ports and 8 ISL ports.

Connecting ISL should be like connecting any other switch. I hope you have configured the switch.

If you dont have trunking license, the ISL connections should work like regular ISL.

Hope this helps.

-Thank You
Bharath

AWilliams_1
Trusted Contributor

If you have a couple of blade servers installed with fibre adapaters then the licences will have automatically been assigned to them. You can check this by viewing the ports and then select advanced mode. It will show you which ports are licenced.
You dont need a trunk licence. Provided the domain IDs dont match then you can plug it into the exisiting fabric. I would suggested you clear the config (telnet to switch then cfgclear and cfgsave) before connecting to the SAN.
DPOD is Dynamic Ports on Demand. The switch has 24 physical ports and comes by default with just 12 licenced. The DPOD assigns these licences to the ports you need. You can buy an upgrade if required.
We set all of our C-Class switches to Access Gateway mode (NPIV) and then they act as just a bunch of ports off the central switch. Saves on the complexity and traffic of multiple domains.
finkployd

Hello everyone,

Thank you so very much for your replies. You wouldn't believe how great it is to receive them.

I've already configured a unique domainID. I'm going to use a couple of the front facing ports as ISL to separate ASIC ports on my core switch.
I also have another switch in slot 6 (right next to it). This is going to go into my other fabric core switch thereby providing multiple paths for fault tolerance (stop me if any of this sounds wrong). An 'HP BladeSystem c-Class SAN connectivity' pdf seems to indicate that this is how it works.

Next up, to make sure the installed blades have the requisite mezzanine cards. What do you bet that they don't ;) ah well, c'est la vie.

Again, thank you all for you replies. Points all round.

Regards,

Fink.
AWilliams_1
Trusted Contributor

Yes, you are correct about the A and B fabrics sitting side by side on the back of the chassis. Be aware that the mezzanine positions are hardwired to the rear slots so that the onboard ports are the top slots, first mezzanine card=slots3&4 and so on. Not usre if there is any general recomendation but we normally configure them with the HBAs on the first mezzanine position = slot3/4 on the back.