1752774 Members
4872 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: vraid

ilayy
Regular Advisor

vraid

thanks for your explanation. can explain for me why single protection keep 2 disks?
2) as i understood if i a keep about 10% of the disk group i need no protection level?

3)also what i found written in the book about the protection is the following.
disk group Has a protection level (reserved spare) to allow for a single or double
disk failure event of disks containing VRAID1
тАУ Reserved disk group space for single or double disk failures.so they have related the raid to the protection . please help
2 REPLIES 2
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

The EVA always calculates space needed for protection level based on VRAID1 requirements *regardless* whether or not any VRAID1 virtual disks have been created. Since the EVA binds pairs of disks for VRAID1 consumption, if one disk were to fail, any VRAID1 usage on that disk pair (both disks) would need to be moved to all other disk pairs in the array. So to recover with single protection, two disks' worth of storage is reserved. And when set to double protection, *four* disks are reserved.

----------
If you think this message has been helpful, please assign points. I collect them (as do the other respondents here in the forums). Kind of like stamps. While you are at it, be a good sport and start assigning points to all your OTHER responses with unassigned points. Go to your profile, and click on the "Questions or topics with unassigned points" link.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

ilayy
Regular Advisor

hi all
what i found is that the protection level is not related to any VRAID and it is used when a disk fail of there is no unassigned space in the disk group to rebuild the data my question is if there is no unassigned space in the disk group and i have the protection level to 0 if a disk fail the data will be lost or when i replace the failed disk data will be rebuild on the new disk?