HPE EVA Storage

what happen with Vdisk raid1 if 1 disk failed and no free space available.

ngo son
Occasional Contributor

what happen with Vdisk raid1 if 1 disk failed and no free space available.

I know that if a hard disk failed, the content of the vdisk raid1 or raid5 would be generated to the free avaible space of the disk group.

But what happened if I set the protection level to None and utilized 100% disk space to raid1 vdisks, than one physical hard disk failed?
3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: what happen with Vdisk raid1 if 1 disk failed and no free space available.

I assume your vdisk will remain online, but unmirrored, because there is no space for rebuilding (bad decision, by the way).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
ngo son
Occasional Contributor

well, actually, I have 4 vdisks in that group, 2 still online (fully green) while the other 2 are offline (with a red cross) now.

As I though, if there is no free space, the vdisks would be running in degraded mode, but it still work. So I am very suprise with this.

the hardware is EVA 4000 with 14 x 15k HDD in 1 enclosure.
Marcus Schack
Trusted Contributor

Speaking from past experience and with all do respect. You are putting your data at risk if you go with NO SPARING and if you are already running degraded, it will take forever to add new disks to that group. If you run out of space and the EVA has no "scratch space" to play with, you could be heading for disaster. I would recommend you add more disk(s) and be prepared for a long period of waiting.