New Discussion юеВ

Re: SL230s Gen8 + CMU 7.0 + CentOS6

SOLVED
Go to solution
TZ-HPC
Occasional Contributor

SL230s Gen8 + CMU 7.0 + CentOS6

Hello,

a HP Partner recently told me that they got the following message from the HPC Competence Center:

"The H220i SATA/SAS controller [of a SL230s Gen8 node] will not work on CentOS6 (together with CMU) but will work with RHEL6."

Can anyone confirm this statement? I do not really see any reason why RHEL6 should work while CentOS6 does not.

Best regards,

T.Z.

3 REPLIES 3
TVVJ
HPE Pro

The QuickSpecs of HP ProLiant SL230s Gen8 server indicates that of available Linux flavors, only  RHEL and  SLES are supported. The list only indicates those that have been tested on the server, but it does not rule out the possibility that another flavor may work, which is not included in the list. The list further indicates that the operating systems listed have drivers for the server and for those not listed, drivers and are available. In light of this statement it can be said that Cent OS is not supported.

Following is the link for serverтАЩs QuickSpecs:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14231_div/14231_div.HTML

Link for driver download for this server:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=5177938&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=5177937&prodTypeId=15351

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

TZ-HPC
Occasional Contributor

Dear Vijayasarathy,

thanks for your answer.

The release notes of CMU-7.0 (HP document 5900-1626 from March 2012) tell in Section 1.1 "Operating system support": "CentOS and Scientific Linux are supported on the compute nodes and the management nodes, but require active approval and verification from HP."

Do SL230s Gen8 compute nodes qualify for such approval?

As Section 2.2 "Support for Gen8 servers as compute nodes" of the quoted document tells: "HP Insight CMU V7.0 has been qualified with: SL230s Gen8, ...", there should be a good chance to get approval, I guess.

Best regards,

T.Z.

madhuiss
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello,

The technical difference as you might be knowing CentOS is a community supported operating system and not a commercially available product. As you could see in the LINK below the support for any product of Prliant servers it has to be from the "LInux Forum"

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/software/centos/index.html?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0001

Event the agents provided to the OS on the HP driver website have limited support meaning"AS-IS" only. So I would recommend engaging with the Comunity forum & its free. My personal experience is best with the forum.

THank you

I am an HP Employee
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo