1752307 Members
5304 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Lost password for ny X5 Firewall

Tee-Time
Occasional Advisor

Lost password for ny X5 Firewall

Does anyone kow the best way to recover a lost password on the X5 Firewall. I seem to have misplaced it???

Also, I would like to keep my configuration.

Tee Time
8 REPLIES 8
EthernetNinja
Occasional Advisor

Hey Tee-Time,

The X5 password recovery is fairly simple but due to the nature of this type of procedure it is best to call the support line.

http://www.3com.com/corpinfo/en_US/contactus/index.html

To prepare you must have physical access to the unit and you must plan for limited network interruption during a reboot cycle.

Also, your configuration will not be lost. :)

Hiyah!
Hiyah!
Tee-Time
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the heads up!

Tee Time
chrisuk
Advisor

I have been searching for this procedure and had no luck finding it. I see a lot of people asking the same question...but few answers.

I connected with a console cable and tried to modify the boot parameters to skip the password check...but I was still prompted to login.

Perhaps I got the format wrong?

I rang 3Com, unfortunately this product is not on our support contract and they wouldn't help me, which is a shame becuase I'm sure it will be a fairly simple fix. I'm loathed to pay for support just so I can find out how to reset a device.

I would certainly appreciate it if someone could explain the procedure! Thanks.

cthomas35
Advisor

A lost password cannot be looked up or recovered.  But you can reset the password.  In order to do that you will need to connect a console cable to the device and reboot it.  Once the TippingPoint log appears type in the following word:  "mkey"     without the quotes

You just type in that word, you don't have to hit enter.  Once you do that it will bring it up a prompt to reset your password.  Let me know if you still have issues.

TJtheone
Advisor

can you tell me exat plale to type "mkey" cus everytime i do it fails

cthomas35
Advisor

Yes, hooking up a console cable is the proper way to get access to the box (RJ-45 to 9 Pin serial).  If you don't have a serial interface you can purchase a USB to Serial cable.  Make sure you set up your connection speed for 115200 and set to 8-N-1.  When the X5 is rebooted you should see output on the screen that basically shows the device booting up.  When you see the TippingPoint logo appear type in "mkey" without the quotes, you don't have to hit enter.  After a few seconds you should be prompted for a username and password.  It should ask you for the security level too.

3comold
Advisor

look at the picture

krahausten

Colleagues,

i have the same problem and i cannot succesfull fto reset SupeUser Password, anyone could me help how to reset the SuperUser Password of Firewall 3COM X506

It is necessary to open an softaware of emulation to conect on the Firewall?