108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Add new Logical Interconenct Module to existing Logical Enclosure

SOLVED
Go to solution
King_haku
Advisor

Add new Logical Interconenct Module to existing Logical Enclosure

Hi, we have 2 Synergy frames with one logical enclsoure that are connected via a VC100Gb logical interconnect in ICM bays 3/6 - all working fine.

We have now added additional Virtual Connect SE 100Gb F32 Modules and Synergy 50Gb Interconnect Link Modules in ICM bays 2/5 across both frames.

Can we add these into the logical enclosure or do we need to destroy everything and start from scratch to start using the new interconnect in addition to the exsiting one?

I plan to do the following:

-S1: Add ICM 100GB and ILM 50GB. Connect the cable on itt.
-S2: Create new LIG with Interconnect bay 2/5 on OV.
-S3: Edit EG with update new LIG  on OV
-S4  Re-apply LE.

If so, will it disrupt the existing system?

I'm concerned that re-applying the LE configuration (S4) will affect everything : LE configuration, Enclosure, Logical Interconnect, server profile,...

Many,

9 REPLIES 9
PrathibaC
HPE Pro

Re: Add new Logical Interconenct Module to existing Logical Enclosure

Mark-S
HPE Pro

If this Enclosure Group is already 2 Enclosures, and you are simply adding new modules to a different slice (2/5), it will not have any effect on the 3/6 slice. 

(1) Create New LIG Interconnect Type 100Gb, Enclosure Count 2, Interconnect Bay Set 2.

(2) Edit EG and add LIG to 2/5

The Logical Enclosure will not be Inconsistent with the Enclosure Group.

(3) From Logical Enclosure - Update from Group.

If so, will it disrupt the existing system? NO

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Mark-S
HPE Pro
Solution

Adding modules to and existing 2 Frame Setup in a different slice is not an example of Grow Enclosure.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

King_haku
Advisor

Thanks  Ms.PrathibaC and Mr Mark-S.

Have a nice day.

Mark's answer is exactly what I wanted to ask.

I want to add modules on esxit on esxisting 2 Frame. But not grow Frame Synergy.

Will the upgrade be interrupted to the existing system when upgrade LE configuration from EG?

Mark-S
HPE Pro

Hi King,

Assuming the current Logical Enclosure (LE) and Enclosure Group (EG) are "Consistent'" before starting the additional interconnect hardware and Logical Interconnect Group additions, there will be NO actions taken against the exisitng Logical Interconnect (LI) In ICM Bay 3/6. No Actions, means nothing in existing LI is touched, no outage.

My Recomendations...

On the Logical Enclosure > Check Consistency State = Consistent
Then proceed to the steps off adding hardware, LIG, and edit EG (This is step where LE should become Inconsistent) and finally the Update from Group on the LE.

Else if you see the LE is Inconsistent before you start the changes, determine why and fix that first.

Hope that makes sense.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

King_haku
Advisor

Hi Mark-S,

According OV 7.0 user guide, the process of the upgrade LE configuration from EG is : "clearing the current configuration of the logical enclosure. Then, the new logical enclosure configuration is applied to all the enclosures associated with the Supportlogical enclosure." 

Document - HPE OneView 7.0 User Guide for HPE Synergy | HPE Support

I don't understand the action "clearing the current configuration". 

Is it means delete all current LE configurations: LIG, LI, profile server, Enclosure,... ? => So, the interruption is certain.

Thank you so much.

Upgrade LE from EG.PNG

DanCernese
HPE Pro

I believe the phrasing is not correct.  It may be a carry over from another platform or earlier version.  Mark's explanation is accurate.  In fact, if you think about a "grow" operation where new frames are added, that is not disruptive and it involves an EG/LE update from group.  

[edit] It occurred to me that the help was written prior to to ability to add additional fabrics and frames.  It was written with a single fabric/LI in mind.

I am an HPE Employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
King_haku
Advisor

Thanks Dan, 

Have a nice day.

I think you are right.

I also see it occurred on the help version 4.x.

Mark-S
HPE Pro

Yes, I agree here that we probably need a revision to provide more details about the actions and include more details about what the risk are here to performing these actions.

Made note to follow up to see how we can improve this experience either through the interface or the guide.

Thanks everyone for  responding.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo