HPE OneView
1752608 Members
4364 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL660c "Unable to find a FibreChannel boot source for server" but server can boot from

SOLVED
Go to solution
jwe
Frequent Advisor

BL660c "Unable to find a FibreChannel boot source for server" but server can boot from SAN as usual

Hello,

currently I have some issues applying a server profile to a BL660c Gen9 blade with one 650FLB card installed.
OneView is unable to discover boot sources for this server. But when the server is powered ON it will succesfully boot from SAN and opereates as expected.
Checking the 650FLB-BIOS shows, that all settings on the FC/FCoE-Ports are as expected (boot target boot LUN) and that the boot target is accessible.
OV obviously configures the CNA according to the profile.

OV error messages while re-applying profil:
"Apply BIOS settings.
Apply boot mode settings.
Apply server settings.
Power on server to discover boot sources.
Power off server.

Issue
Unable to find a FibreChannel boot source for server: <server-name>.
Resolution
Ensure the FibreChannel connection has an uplink and that the WWPN and LUN are valid. Apply the server profile again."

Initially this configuration has been setup with OneView 4.x some years ago successfully.
Now we are running OV 5.0 and had to update the profile due to some changes.
Only some BL660c Gen9 blades have this issue, no issues with BL460c Gen8/9/10.

Is the position of the 650FLB relevant (FlexLOM 1 or FlexLOM 2)?
All BL660c with this issue are having the 650FLB in FlexLOM 2 Slot. Didn't dare to re-apply a profile on a BL660c wtih 650FLB in FlexLOM1 (currently up an running).

regards
Joerg

3 REPLIES 3
jwe
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: BL660c "Unable to find a FibreChannel boot source for server" but server can boot from

Moved all FlexLOM-Cards from FlexLOM Slot 2 to 1.
Reconfigured the profile due to this hardware change.
Error message ("Unable to find a FibreChannel boot source for server") is gone.

Maybe one of the HPE Oneview folks can confirm, that SAN boot devices are only checked correctly, when FlexLOM Slot 1 is used on full height blades.

Another note:
When the profile is applied and OV discovers the boot source, OV will power of the server after this check. At this point in time the server is already booting from SAN, so the OS is interrupted during boot.

"...
Apply boot mode settings.

Apply server settings.
Power on server to discover boot sources.
Power off server. [---> ath this point the OS is already booting from SAN]
..."

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Please let me know if you have further query.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below and accept the solution.
Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

DaveArko
Occasional Advisor

OneView gives this alert at the "warning" level if you have 2 bootable connections configured, and it only finds boot sources generated for one of them (i.e. only one path to the storage is being detected).  The system will likely boot fine in this case, but you are lacking redundancy (thus just a warning).   The alert is "critical" if it cannot detect any boot sources created for either connection (or you only have one boot connection and that one is not found). 

Given the wording of the alert, I am guessing you were getting the тАЬwarningтАЭ alert.  Which explains why it was still able to boot fine.

By reconfiguring the card and reapplying the profile, my guess is that whatever issue was preventing one side from connecting was resolved in the process.  There is no restriction on what slot the FlexLOM is in, but it does change which interconnects it uses when you move it.  So there might be an interconnect issue, or cabling issue to that original interconnect.

OneView should not be allowing the server to boot the OS when applying the profile.  That sounds like a defect.  Could you provide your OneView version, and version of iLO & BIOS on the blade showing  the issue?

Thanks,
--Dave Arko