1752783 Members
6037 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Best practices for small environment

Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

Best practices for small environment

I've searched high and low for something that will give me some recommendations for best practices for configuring our Oneview 2.0 environment. We have 10 enclosures spread across 3 data centers:
Data Center 1 - 4 enclosures w/ 1 imported into Oneview
Data Center 2 - 4 enclosures w/ none imported into Oneview
Data Center 3 - 2 enclosures both imported into Oneview

We have tons of bandwidth between them so will only have 1 Oneview instance to manage them all. Aside from different combos of blade models and network vlans, all 10 enclosures are identical. We were initailly advised to make each enclosure an island unto itself - seperate Enclosure Groups, Logical Interconnect Groups, etc. I'm thinking this might not be the best config. Assuming I am correct, using Data Center 1 as an example, can I:
1. Rename the existing Enclsoure Group w/o disruption? For example, rename from EG-DC1-ENC1 to just EG-DC1.
2. Rename the existing Logical Interconnect Group w/o disruption? For example, rename from LIG-DC1-ENC1 to just LIG-DC1.
3. Import remaining 3 enclosures.

As for Data Center 3, should I go the rename route for 1 enclosure then move the other enclosure over? Is this disruptive? Or should I create a new Enclosure Group and LIG and move both enclosures into that?

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

It's not always about bandwidth, but also latency.  We do not have any published guidance on how much bandwidth and latency, and instead talk about Datacenter LAN speeds.

Yes, you can rename Group resources without impacting other resources, as associations are not linked via names.  Each resource has its own unique identified (GUID).

As for how you have your LIG and EG policies, it will come down to which datacenter has what Layer 2 network.  Ideally, you'd have different VLAN IDs per DataCenter.  If you do share common VLAN ID's, but you are not bridging them across your WAN (which isn't a good idea, even if you have brodcast filtering turn on at the WAN edge), just name them uniquly and add them to the DataCenter specific LIG policy.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the info. Still unclear about how to handle Data Center 3. Currently I have:
ENC1 associated to EG-DC3-ENC1 and LIG-DC3-ENC1
ENC2 associated to EG-DC3-ENC2 and LIG-DC3-ENC2

If I rename EG-DC3-ENC1 and LIG-DC3-ENC1 to EG-DC3 and LIG-DC3 that will be non-resruptive? How do I then disassociate ENC2 from its current LIG and EG and make associate it with EG-DC3 and LIG-DC3? Outage? Would the best method just be to delete the enclosure and everything associated with it then re-add to Oneview?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Renaming resources is non-distruptive as I stated above.  However, changing associations isn't always non-distruptive, especially if you need to change the EG association of an Enclosure you have added as a Managed resource.  The EG (and associated LIG) resource defines the configuration policy.  You can't simply change the policy.  Doing so will require you to first remove the Enclosure, then add it back with the new EG resource.  Of course, you'll have to un-assign Server Profiles, and will require downtime of the Enclosure.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo