New Discussion

Re: C7000 SPP updates with OneView

SOLVED
Go to solution
CadenLange
Regular Advisor

C7000 SPP updates with OneView

Hi

I'm not sure if this is correct forum as it's a C7000 virtual connect question but involves HPE OneView.

I've taken on C7000 blade system that is managed by a OneView appliance. OneView is currnetly 4.10 and scheduled for updating to 6.5 over the coming weeks. I also need to update the C7000 OA and VC firmware which I'll do through OneView.

My question is around the number of firmware 'hops' I need to take to get to the latest VC and OA versions. The last SPP loaded into OneView was 2018.11.0 and this was used to update the VC and AO firmware. I 'think' there is a best practice not to jump too many SPP releases between updates - but I can't find any technote on this best practice saying how many SPPs I can skip between updates. I think I'm ok with the following hops but is anyine able to confirm this to be ok?

starting at 2018.11.0 I'll then upload 2019.09.1 into OneView and upgrade the VC and OA firmware; then to 2020.09.2 (update VC and OA) then to 2021.05.0 (update VC and OA) then finally to 2021.10.0 which is the latest - I will update the VC and OA firmware with each SPP as I go through.

Am I safe with this approach?

many thanks

6 REPLIES 6
support_s
System Recommended

Query: C7000 SPP updates with OneView

System recommended content:

1. Advisory: (Revision) HPE OneView - OneView 6.00 Does Not Allow Firmware Updates With the 2021.04.0 Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) on Certain Gen10 Plus Servers

If the above information is helpful, then please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon.

Thank you for being a HPE community member.

Accept or Kudo

ManBha
HPE Pro

Hello,

Please do refer the upgrade path as below.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00117617en_us

Thanks.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

We do not publish any documentation on what published baselines are required.  We test and validate published SPP's/baselines.  As mentioned above, we document minimum requirements in the HPE OneView Support Matrix for the release.  The only time we would document needed firmware would be for specific firmware enabled features.  I would get your appliance to 4.20, then use the Update Readiness Checker to then validate your updates as you get to 6.30 (if you plan to stay on milestone releases) or 6.50 (to get the current fixes and features.)

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

CadenLange
Regular Advisor
Solution

Thanks Chris

I've been through the support matrix and 99% happy that I'm good top upgrade OneView to the latest version. There are still some areas within the VC release notes that I find hard to interpret so I'm still working through those. Thanks for the help with this.

Does the Update Readiness Checker run through things like the firmware versions of logical interconnects and server iLOs etc to ensure these will remain supported once updated to the target OneView versions?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Does the Update Readiness Checker run through things like the firmware versions of logical interconnects and server iLOs etc to ensure these will remain supported once updated to the target OneView versions?

No, that is not the intention of the URC.  It is meant to check for known conditions where the update of OneView would not be successful.  It does not check for component firmware updates needed or available.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

CadenLange
Regular Advisor

Many thanks