HPE OneView

Can someone tell me the exact process/flow of OneView and updating Gen9 servers?

uzimmermann
Advisor

Can someone tell me the exact process/flow of OneView and updating Gen9 servers?

At this point all our Gen9 servers are failing to "Update from Template" or "Reapply" the profile because even when we unselect "Firmware" from reapply, it still boots the SPP and this then fails with:

Stage firmware.

Stage failed.

AHS log shows a 503 error based on support.

SPP however does successfully runs through and updates firmware. 

Even when we manually run the SPP and then try the reapply it fails.

Our second instance of OneView does not have this problem. I have a case open with support for over 2 weeks now and there has been zero progress and and I am tearing out my hair at this point.

3 REPLIES 3
support_s
System Recommended

Re: Can someone tell me the exact process/flow of OneView and updating Gen9 servers?

Please check if your OV is able to ping the server ILO. 

OV --> Settings --> Networking --> Action --> Ping

Check the same from ILO, whether the OV is reachable or not. 

Open a putty session to ILO --> oemhpe_ping  [OV IPAddress]

Also check what is the option set in the profile for firmware update. 

If it is set to "Firmware and Drivers using Smart Update Tools" then check the SUT status in the OS uisng 'sut -status' command. 

Check the mode of operation of SUT in OS.  It should be normally set to AutoDeploy or AutoDeployReboot.

Also share the case number which you already opened with support. 

Accept or Kudo

uzimmermann
Advisor

Re: Can someone tell me the exact process/flow of OneView and updating Gen9 servers?

Yes, communication works fine. This is happening on 20+ Gen9 servers. What we see in iLO log is a 503 scriptable virtual media error. Based on a tcpdump I did now, the 503 seems to happening not on the http connection for the SPP but on an encrypted SSL session.

I now have to see if I can extract the appliance SSL key so I can decrypt the SSL traffic. Time to clone the drive and mount it on another VM.

Support has been completely useless.

support_s
System Recommended

This looks like a know issue and the issue is being worked by our Engineering and development team. I request you to please share the case number which you raised for this issue so that we can engage our Engineering team to work on this issue. 

Accept or Kudo