4990 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Change Firmware Baseline in Server Profile Template

erki72
Frequent Advisor

Change Firmware Baseline in Server Profile Template

Hi

I want to change the firmware baseline from SPP2020.03 to version 2020.09.

it looks like this in our environment.
- We have created server hardware types for the different models
- Then we created a server profile template and used the the hardware type group
- The firmware baseline is attached to the server profile template > This is how it is applied to the servers

Am I correct: I change the hardware baseline on the server profile template. All servers turn yellow. Then I can say on the individual servers to standardize on the next reboot?

Thanks for help

20 REPLIES 20
Marcel_D
Advisor

After you attached a new Baseline to a Template, you have to Update the Server Profiles.

erki72
Frequent Advisor

I set the firmware profile to the new SPP in the server profile template?

Can I do this on the fly, ithout the risk of restarting the server?

I understand it like this: I have to update the server profile on each server after adjusting the basline on the server profile templates?

Marcel_D
Advisor

You need to have Smart Update Tools (SUT) running in the OS to communicate with OneView

You have to set SUT to sut -set mode=autodeploy to automatically install the Updates and prevent the Server from Rebooting.

Change Baseline in Server Template.

I personally Update the Server Profiles by Powershell Scripting, i.e

$server = Get-HPOVServerProfile | ?{$_.templateCompliance -like "NonCompliant"}

$server | %{Update-HPOVServerProfile -InputObject $_ -Async -Confirm:$false}

If Activate firmware: Immediately is set in the Template, the Profiles should Update and install the pending Updates.

When they finished, you have to manually Reboot the Server.

erki72
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the answer.

We only use ESXi hosts

erki72
Frequent Advisor

Maybe it's easier with a screen short.

I want to select the new SSP where the arrow is.
I see it and I can change it. But I am not aware of what happens to my ESXi host

So I can do it for each host individually!
What happens if I make the same change in the server profile template?

2020-11-25 16_34_00-Window.png

2020-11-25 16_38_51-Window.png

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Firstly, changing any setting within a server profile template will NOT change anything or modify any setting within the associated server profile(s).  A compliance warning message will be displayed, which is the indication that the profile is not compliant with the template and inform you of what those changes are.  You would need to go to each server profile and perform "Update from Template" operation.  You can multi-select in the server profile inventory screen and do the same.  You can also use PowerShell to perform this operation en masse:

# Show all profiles that are not compliant
Get-OVServerProfile -NonCompliant

# Show all profiles that are not compliant based on the specific profile template resource
Get-OVServerProfileTemplate -Name "My Profile Template Name" | Get-OVServerProfile -NonCompliant

# Invoke the Update from Template operation, using the PowerShell -WhatIf common parameter
Get-OVServerProfileTemplate -Name "My Profile Template Name" | Get-OVServerProfile -NonCompliant | Update-OVServerProfile -WhatIf

As for the baseline itself, you will not be able to change the baseline within a profile ot Firmware Only without first powering off your servers.  Why?  This type of operation is an offline only, and OV will need to control the server to boot into the chosen baseline in order to install the components.

If you change the baseline activation type to one of the 2 available online options, you will need to have iSUT/SUT present to install the components.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

dviskoe
Occasional Visitor

so I know this post is now over a year old, but still seems to be the most relevant from the google search results.

The root of the question, of course; is how to update firmware ? If I cannot update the template (without shutting down every server that's attached) and I would not want to create a new template ( and risk losing / moving all my connections).

what then is the 'Proper ' way to use OneView to update firmware ??

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

I think you have it backwards here. Profile templates can be modified without powering off anything. They are software policies for profiles to be derived and inherited from.

If you are trying to install updates using offline then yes, that will require servers to be powered off for the server profile to be updated to that setting. Customers are advised to perform online updates where you can, as long as using Tier 1 operating systems that SUT supports.

This is also documented in the online help, here https://internal.support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=sd00001276en_us&page=s_firmware-update-about-cic.html

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

erki72
Frequent Advisor

We have a hypervisor in use.

It is important that iSUT is configured correctly. We now use the -autodiploy switch
Nevertheless, a little caution is required. We found that when we patch the hypervisor, sometimes the switch is changed.
We now check this with a script before we make changes to the profile template