5278 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Change blade server display name

Swarm
Occasional Advisor

Change blade server display name

Hi there,

SO i have a question in regards to how OneView displays its blades.

Below is how the server is displayed in Onboard Administrator

http://imgur.com/SKKasX3,k7VlK66#1

But this below is how it's shown in OneView

http://imgur.com/SKKasX3,k7VlK66#0

Obviously i want the OneView to show the server name....how do i do this?

============================

Question 2

If i am just MONITORING the enclosures, there should be no downtime on the import into OA, correct?

It's only when we import a MANAGED enclosure, do we see downtime?

18 REPLIES 18
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Hello and welcome to the HP OneView Community Forums.

@Swarm wrote:

Hi there,

SO i have a question in regards to how OneView displays its blades.

Obviously i want the OneView to show the server name....how do i do this?

The Onboard Administrator displays this information because that is what the iLO reports, and only if there is an OS with the Insight Manager Agents (or at a minimum the iLO Interface Driver).  If you noticed when an OS is not installed, the server name in the OA is typcially the server model name (i.e. ProLiant BL460 Gen8).  Now, imagine all of your servers that ONeView is managing does not have an OS installed, and all of their names are "ProLiant BL460 Gen8".  How can you tell which server is which in your data center?  Sure, we could impose customers to add the Server Name to the iLO (log into the iLO Management UI, expand Administration, then select Access Settings) for every single server is impractical.  We are working on other ways to display the server name.  Unfortunately, I don't have anything to share.

@Swarm wrote:

Question 2

If i am just MONITORING the enclosures, there should be no downtime on the import into OA, correct?

It's only when we import a MANAGED enclosure, do we see downtime?

Correct. Adding a supported DL or BladeSystem Enclosure for Monitor only is an online (no downtime) operation.  Removing that(those) resource(s) is an online operation.  However, you cannot convert a Monitored to Managed resource without first removing it from the appliance and then adding it as a Managed resource, which today is an offline (requires downtime) operation.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Swarm
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your response.

The iLo name is actual set up already, but not reflected anywhere in the enclosure view on OneView.  The enclosure knows about it, but it seems that OneView just doesnt have the functionality to display it?  

It would be ideal if, for example, in the "Enclosures>Device Bays" section to have the ilo name at least 

I can do a search on the server name and it will come back with "Shelter>Bay 1"....so it knows about it there

sysadmin4151
Advisor

I don't follow. The iLO already has a "Server Name" field, that populates with the correct server name.  OneView reports "ENCLOSURE1 Bay X", no matter if the iLO server name field is reported. OneView should always (or minimum give the option) of displayign the actual server name. This seems like a basic, obvious functionality. Telling me the enclosure and bay number is much less helpful. 

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Welcome to the HP OneView forums @sysadmin4151.

The reason why HP OneView doesn't display the iLO Server Name value today is because of when the hardware has no OS, and the Server Name value is Null.  If you were to look within an Onboard Administrator, it will show you the Device Bay ID, followed by the Product Name (i.e. HP ProLiant BL460c Gen9.)  Now, imagine seeing 100 of those in HP OneView.  How could you tell which was which and in what enclosure?  Yes, we know that you can modify the Server Name value in the iLO, but that isn't always consistent, nor a value a customer provides. 

Tat being said, we are very aware of this, and are looking at different experiences to handle displaying a server name better within HP OneView.  I just don't have anything further to share on a public forum.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

sysadmin4151
Advisor

Ok, but what about the option. I can use the Onboard Administrator PowerShell cmdlets to retrieve this information...

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

As I stated, there is no option to change this today.  It has been raised to the product team to address, but it is not as simple as you suggest.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

GLOT
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

The OS name of the server is very important to be able to quickly identity a server when you manage hundreds. What about an other column with the OS name ? If the server has no OS then the value will be Null (or serial number), but it is not a problem.

I don't understand HP position. In Insight Manager, we have the OS server name displayed.

At this point Oneview is useless.

Thank you for your answer.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

@GLOT

The reason why HP SIM could display that information is because the host OS can be inventoried.  HP OneView does not inventory or manage the host OS.  So, it wouold have to rely on the iLO to guarantee the Server Name was exactly as it should be.  Its not a trivial feature, and we continue to look at ways to improve the overall experience and functionality of HP OneView.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

kikepq
Occasional Visitor

Hello, but in my case even if the server name it is properly configured in ILO, HP Oneview does not shows it.

Is it ok?