1748121 Members
3371 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Change blade server display name

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

At this point, it does not matter if the iLO shows the correct name.  HPE OneView still does not use that value to populate the Server Hardware name.  My suggestion to folks is to not strictly be hung up on that name.  The Server resource is just one of many in your Server Hardware 'collection' or 'pool'.  Instead, the Server Profile should have the name you want.  OneView maintains the relationship of the Server Profile to the Server Hardware in the UI and via the REST API.  Use the Server Profile as your first level management resource, not the Server Hardware resource.  Why?  Because the Server Profile contains the identity policy (WWN, MAC, SN, storage volumes, connection mapping, etc.).  The Server Hardware is just the destination of the Server Profile resource, which you can move from Server Hardware to Server Hardware.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

sphero
Visitor

so if i had 100 servers, would i need to create 100 server profiles? 

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

If you have added your supported server resources as Managed (instead of Monitored, as Monitored doesn't provide Server Profie Management), then yes.  A Server Profile has a 1:1 relationship to the assigned Server Hardware device.  In HPE OneVIew 2.0, you can have a Server Profile associated with a Server Profile Template for compliance enforcement and aggregating server policy management.  But you are still creating a Server Profile, which can only be assigned to a single Server Hardware device.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

OneViewDevil

Unfortunately in our setup OneView is not able to operate in "managed" mode for Blades. We have Cisco B22 FEX modules and Brocade 16Gb SAN Modules which are both not supported. So I can't create Profiles and even if I could I would prefer to have the real server name in the OneView Server list. It is not usable to see Enclose xxx slot xxx has an error because I don't know all of our hundreds of servers by position but if I can see the ILO servername I know if he is important for the business or not and how fast I have to react.

This is an absolute must criteria.

Thanks

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Hello @OneViewDevil, and welcome to the HPE OneView Community forums.

Unfortunately in our setup OneView is not able to operate in "managed" mode for Blades. We have Cisco B22 FEX modules and Brocade 16Gb SAN Modules which are both not supported

Sorry, but that is not correct.  While, yes, OneView does not manage either of those interconnect types, you can model the B22 FEX in a Logical Interconnect Group, and get basic health reporting and config monitoring along with the parent 5k/6k.  But just because you have both the B22 FEX and the Brocade 16Gb FC module does not mean you lose Server Profile capabilities.  You do lose Connection (along with identifity, i.e. MAC or WWN management) and HPE StoreServe (aka 3PAR) FC volume management. But you gain Firmware, BIOS and Boot Order management with supported platforms.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

csouthy
Advisor

A few versions later and it seems that this still isnt really a priority. 

Why wouldnt a setup like this preffered

http://imgur.com/E8ZCtSk

I can already tell from the Ecnlosure Page what ENCLOSURE and BAY number it is.....so why not replace that field with the actualy ILO/Server name?

julianwood
Occasional Advisor

I'm feeling the same thing. HPE OneView 3.0 is out and excitedly I have deployed it just to find that yet again some of these basic things are not just there.

If Virtual Connect firmware can automatically pick up the server name then there can't be any valid reason why OneView can't.

I have also tried renaming a Server Profile and then refreshing the enclosure, no change to the OneView server name, removed and re-added the enclosure and stilll nothing, so it doesn't seem to be taking the server name from the Server Profile as mentioned in the thread.

I really really want to deploy OneView but now we're at v3 and still missing obvious functionality. I have to use Monitored for chassis as I have some G6 blades so they can't be Managed.

All I want is a dashboard where I can aggregate all my blades and physical servers, sort by name picked up via the OS/iLO/whatever but certainly not just displaying the meaningless blade location.. 

Come on, HP, talk to your customers and find out what they really want and what's stopping them deploying OneView, I think you will find a huge uptick in adoption if you just sorted a few simple things.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

@julianwood, firstly, VCM never had the ability to report the server's iLO Server Name property. You still have that challange. The OA can and does report the Server Name IF it is set in either the iLO directly, or with the iLO CHIF driver in the OS which then populates the Server Name field within the iLO.

Yes, we do listen to customers. This topic has been discussed a few times on this forum. This forum is NOT the avenue to talk about unreleased products or when we will deliver features to any HPE product. I would suggest you reach out to your HPE sales team for NDA roadmap information. This is standard operating practice.

I can tell you that we are actively working on the ability to display the iLO Server Name for a future release, which is based on direct customer feedback. I cannot state what release we are looking at in a public forum.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

julianwood
Occasional Advisor

for the quick reply, Chris

Looking forward to seeing a future version soon which addresses this (I know you can't commit on anything). 

Having the server name populated in the OA via any means and having that same name referenced as the servername in OneView would be hugely beneficial. It would mean an immediate deployment of OneView for us and likely many others, at the moment, can't deploy it as servers can not eaily be recognised.

Thanks,

Julian