108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Custom Firmware SPP, and vLifeCycle Manager

SOLVED
Go to solution
T_1_6
Regular Advisor

Custom Firmware SPP, and vLifeCycle Manager

I was away to create a custom SPP for vSphere 7 and lifecycle manager, however I noticed that on the custom SPP page, it says :- 

- Operating Systems: Select all operating systems in use to perform online firmware and driver updates or online firmware staging. Additionally, select the SLES15 operating system to support the offline firmware boot environment.

Up until this point I had simply downloded the 9GB monster and used that, and patched them from OneView main appliance. For this one I selected only VMware as the OS, and all the applicable firmware/drivers etc. What I am not clear about, is that statement above.

1) Doing the patching myself, is "offline firmware boot" what Oneview does by default? (No smart update tools running here)

2) If being patched through vCLM, should I have selected the SLES15 OS option too? Does vCLM/Oneview boot into a special offline OS in order to patch, or did I do the right thing in only selecting VMware and the relevant drivers/firmware for our DL360 clusters.

Thanks, its super confusing! Any help reallly appreciated as usual. I would have been lost without this forum at times.

5 REPLIES 5
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro
Solution

vLCM doesn't support custom SPPs at this time (we're working on it though), so unfortunately you have to use the full SPP.

There are a couple of support matrices that show the supported combinations.

тАУVolume server SPP тАУ https://vibsdepot.hpe.com/customimages/Valid-vLCM-Combos.pdf

тАУSynergy SSP тАУ https://vibsdepot.hpe.com/synergy/Valid-vLCM-Combos-Synergy.pdf 

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
T_1_6
Regular Advisor

Perfectly happy with that.

Keeps it simple, no messing around. I will download the full whack and call it sorted.

Thanks

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Keep in mind that OneView can perform offline updates, which requires the specified OS noted above.  vLCM does not perform offline updates, nor can it.  vLCM updates must be done online while the server is powered on, with the presense of iSUT.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

T_1_6
Regular Advisor

I do have another query though, but don;t want to open yet another thread!

Its about Importing the OV4VC cert into vCenter for vCLM to work.
Well... Im not sure I need to do that, as I gave the OV4VC a cert from our MS PKI, therefore its going to automatically be trusted by the domain joined and also PKI'd up vCenter servers.
I see the instructions are for the original HPE Cert with the appliance. When I visit the OV4VC webfront end, its a trusted cert already from our PKI.

So I am assuming I can go right ahead and register the SPP with vCLM without importing any certs?

Cheers!

ALso one other thing, the SIP4VC appliance never restarts from the web interface. Somethign happens, but it does not do a VM guest reboot.

Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

I got this reply from my engineering team:

For a CA signed certificate, you need to add the CA root certificate to vCenter Trust store. In this case, the MS-PKI root cert needs to be added into vCenter Trust store.

But if the vCenter cert is also updated to CA cert, the root cert will be added to the vCenter trust store during this process. So there is no need to add the certificate again.

Please make sure you can see the root cert in the vCenter тАЬCertificate ManagementтАЭ page.

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo