108794 Solutions
New Discussion

HP OneView for vCenter Firmware upate won't automatically reboot ESX host

Tony3
Visitor

HP OneView for vCenter Firmware upate won't automatically reboot ESX host

Hi, I have the latest version of HP OneView vCenter installed with vCenter 5.5

I have it pointed to a HP Sum server with June 2015 firmware

Using the VC WebClient I initiate a firmware update, this completes but the server never reboots even though option is checked.  I have tried with multiple servers and it's always the same result. 

Error: Firmware updated sucessfully and unable to restart server

I have a case open but not really getting anyway at this stage.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks
Tony

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Re: HP OneView for vCenter Firmware upate won't automatically reboot ESX host

Do the hosts ever successfully go into Maintainance Mode?  If not, check to make sure that DRS is set to Fully Automated (required to move VM's around).  Also, do you have any VM's with RDMs or VMDKs attached to local hypervisor node storage?

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Tony3
Visitor

Hi,

No problems entering maintenance mode.  Automatically or manually.  So host is always in mainenance mode and there are no VMs on the host during update.

Everything goes well except the reboot.

@Chris Lynch, HP wrote:

Do the hosts ever successfully go into Maintainance Mode?  If not, check to make sure that DRS is set to Fully Automated (required to move VM's around).  Also, do you have any VM's with RDMs or VMDKs attached to local hypervisor node storage?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

I'm not sure why the server fails to reboot.  Have you checked to make sure the plugin can communicate with the various server components?  Go to a compute node within vCenter, select HP Management, then the Gear icon.  In that menu there should be a Communication Status option, select it.  If the plugin cannot communicate with the iLO, Server or OA, then that could be the source of the issue.

Otherwise, please continue to work with support on your issue.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Tony3
Visitor

Thanks,

Server, ILO & OA are repoting 'normal' status.  Under the communication status of the server.   We don't have Virtual Connect is it required?