1752794 Members
6026 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE D3710 Enclosure

Scott Caryer
Frequent Advisor

HPE D3710 Enclosure

I have a 3-node Hyper-V (HV) environment that is connected to several HPE D3710 Enclosures leveraging MS's Storage Space Direct. The  3 x HV nodes are managed in our 5.6 Oneview appliance. I noticed several amber lights on the multiple hard drives in 2 of the HPE D3710 Enclosures that are connected to 1 HV node.  However, Oneview does NOT show any alerts for drives issues on the node connected to these 2 x HPE D3710 Enclosures. When I iLo to the node itself, it shows clean of any drive issues. Surely there has got to be a monitoring solution for these iLo-less enclsoures? Thanks forums for any help here!!

7 REPLIES 7
Mitch-K
Occasional Advisor

Scott,

OneView knows what the iLO knows, so the fact that you are not seeing any errors on the iLO explains why you don't see any in OneView as well.

Sometimes, the way drives are connected, issues are only visible to the OS itself, but sometimes, AMS can detect issues and pass them on to the iLO, which would then pass them on to OneView.  Do you know if AMS is running on these HV nodes?

Scott Caryer
Frequent Advisor

Great Feedback Mitch! I was just thinnking about a OS drivers as well. I just confirmed that AMS is NOT installed on the OS. 

The Hyper-V servers are running core. I hope that AMS agent can be installed on core. I am guessing with AMS installed, iLo\Oneview will report accordingly and automatically open a case on a failed drive?

Thanks again, Scott

Scott Caryer
Frequent Advisor

I now have the AMS installed, and the failed drives are still not reporting with error on the iLos. I don't believe I am see the other drives in the enclosures. Not sure where to go with this...

Scott Caryer
Frequent Advisor

I can actually see all the drives that are showing from the controller. However, all the drives are green even though I visually see several amber lights on the drives....not sure what to make of it. 

Mitch-K
Occasional Advisor

Sorry to hear that didn't work. That was my best idea, but I'm also not a storage expert.

Note that AMS wouldn't have logged a case, but I would have hoped it recorded the status of any drive that was disabled.

I guess there is always the possibility that the amber light isn't a negative indication, but what are the odds of that? 

I don't have any other ideas.  If I can find someone who might know, I'll point them this way.

Scott Caryer
Frequent Advisor

Good feedback...Thanks Mitch! 

Mitch-K
Occasional Advisor

OK, I found someonen smarter than me who gave me some more tips.

Assuming that these drives are connected to a Smart Array, and that the drives are in HBA mode (typically used with Storage Space), then even with AMS you won't get a notification of the drive failure.  See this advisory a00106941en_us.

Also, in HBA mode, the Smart Array is not controlling the drive LEDs, but Storage Spaces might be, so it's hard to say what the lights really mean, although in this one document, it doesn't look very good:  see example here

So if you're in HBA mode, hopefully, Storage Spaces wold pick up error conditions, but not sure.

Hope this helps,
Mitch