New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE OneView for Azure Log Analytics (v1.4.0) - "ARM Template is not valid"

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sheep1
Frequent Visitor

HPE OneView for Azure Log Analytics (v1.4.0) - "ARM Template is not valid"

Hi,

I am attempting to add the above solution to my Azure tenancy but I am receiving the error "ARM Template not valid" after entering the workspace and linked automation account.

I have attempted on two tenancies now as first I thought it might be a lack of permissions on the subscription.

It seems the solution itself is just an ARM template that is deployed using the ARM API, can anyone confirm they receive the same error?

Thanks in advance,

EDIT: For reference, 1::20 onwards in the below video shows how this is done and where I am getting the error:
HPE OneView for Microsoft Azure Log Analytics Series - #8 Install HPE Solution

10 REPLIES 10
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

I believe that we (HPE) have encountered this due to some changes that Microsoft made with how partner ARM templates get deployed.

I am checking with my engineering team to see if there is a workaround. Otherwise, I do know that we are working on an updated release of the ARM template that would fix this issue.

Thanks,

Doug

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Sheep1
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Doug,

I assumed it wasn't something specific to our tenant but it's good to have confirmation, I'll wait for your response

If it isn't something to be fixed soon I'll see if I can make some temporary dashboards once I get data flowing through

Thanks,

Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

I just confirmed that there is no workaround for now.

The on-premise HPE PowerShell module will get the raw data into Log Analytics, so you can create your own custom dashboards as a temporary fix.

The next release that will fix this is probably a few months out.

Thanks,
Doug

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Sheep1
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Doug,

Would the team possibly be able to provide the JSON (or JSONs) for the dashboard by extracting it from the solution itself?

I've found the below but it is 3 years old and I don't trust myself to strip out the relevant parts:

GitHub - HewlettPackard/HPE-PowerShell-for-Log-Analytics-Module: Provides Azure Automation runbooks to drive collection of information from instances of HPE OneView to populate Log Analytics repository with information for on-premise infrastructure.

EDIT: An up to date copy of the runbooks would be handy too if possible?

Thanks,

Doug de Werd
HPE Pro
Solution

Can you download the ARM template?

The file you are looking for is "HPE-OneView-for-Log-Analytics-Template.json"

That contains the info to create the dashboards (e.g. donuts, lists, etc.) and also contains all of the  Queries and Saved Queries included in the solution.

The runbooks on GitHub might be the old original ones.  I would check for the "HPE PowerShell for Log Analytics Module v. 1.4" at https://www.hpe.com/downloads/ovpartners  which should have the latest runbooks (which are really just PS scripts).  The info in the videos is accurate about using the runbook scripts to automatically generate the data.  The PS module runs on-premise and talks to OneView and Synergy, and then pushes the data into Log Analytics.  Those should still work fine.

The issue we have is that Microsoft changed the way ARM templates work, which broke ours.  So the data can still get into LA, it's just that our predefined dashboards are broken.  But if you create your own dashboard, you can use the queries in the above mentioned json file to capture the same data we were getting in out dashboard.

In case you need the latest docs, here are the links:

User Guide https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00106944en_us 

Release Notes  https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00106943en_us 

Thanks,

Doug

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
R1Ck123
Frequent Visitor

Hey, 

I have the same problem with the HPE OneView MS ALA solution in the marketplace, where can I get hold of the runbooks i can't see them in the link above?

Thanks,

Rick

Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

Microsoft has changed the way that solutions are accessed in the Azure Marketplace, and it broke the way that we do it.

But the good news is that we just released OV4ALA 2.0.  The difference is that you now install the solution from a local location rather than directly from the Marketplace. We have also changed to workbook style views.

You can download 2.0 from https://www.hpe.com/downloads/ovpartners

HPE_PowerShell_for_Log_Analytics_Module_2.0_October_2021_Z7550-03624.zip (4.13 MB)

And the User Guide (with new installation instructions) is at https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00118854en_us 

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
R1Ck123
Frequent Visitor

thanks for this, so i ran through the documentation and i now have logs but no workbooks, is there any way i can import workbooks from a pre-existing file anywhere?

Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

I don't think so. The workbooks are a new feature in OV4ALA 2.0, so there would be no previous files to get that info from.  The docs should walk you through accessing the workbooks

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo