New Discussion

Re: HP OneView vs. HP SIM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Syed Ehtisham
Advisor

Hi Everyone!

Just to add a comment here, Oneview cannot result in a disaster when OneView VM is crashed, the servers itself keep on working fine until the OV VM is re-installed again and backup config is restored again, so no loss of production data upon VM crashed. Secondly! we  have been deploying oneview in PAK and promoting it as this is the most powerfull infrastructure manager by HPE that is competing Cisco UCS Manager.

Syed Ehtisham
Advisor

Features like, Virtual Serial Number, MACs and WWNs, Automated online migration of server profiles from one server to another incase a hardware failure is occurred. we have boot from san environment running under Vmware, we also have 2Xbackup blade servers in the chassis without profiles, if anyone server in my cluster go down or in degraded state, OneView take this server offline from cluster, unassign the profile, assign this profile to my backup blade and power it on, so my cluster is transparent that my hardware have gone changed.. do you have these features in SIM? I work for HPE Partner and working in PAKistan for more than 19 years on HPE Servers, Storages and Unix boxes.

Sactown
Occasional Advisor

Hi Chris,

Now that it is nearly 4.5 years later, would you please update your reply with what OneView 5 can do?

Andre Stewart
Frequent Advisor

I, too, am looking to monitor HPE physical servers, workstations and the VMs in a single HPE/vCenter "cluster".  My initial intent is to make asset management more efficient and also perform some capacity planning through the monitoring of phyiscal resources (storage capacity, etc.) and performance.  I have a mixture of OSs in both the physical and VM environments.  Will OneView standard accomplish this for me? 

Also, will OneView discover non-HPE branded servers/workstations (such as those using OpenManage Server Administrator (OMSA)) and other HP/HPE and non-HP/HPE resources on a network (managed Ethernet switches, SAN switches, printers, etc.)?

Respectfully

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

I, too, am looking to monitor HPE physical servers and the VMs in a single vCenter "cluster".  My initial intent is to make asset management more efficient and also perform some capacity planning through the monitoring of phyiscal resources (storage capacity, etc.) and performance.  I have a mixture of OSs in both the physical and VM environments.  Will OneView standard accomplish this for me? 

HPE OneView does not monitor or inventory anything above the hardware.  HPSIM did and provided by the HPE Insight Control Virtual Machine Management pack.  HPE OneView is not a direct, feature to feature replacement to HPSIM.  Instead, we have plugins to VMware vCenter and Microsoft System Center that rather integrate the HPE OneView data into those consoles.

Also, will OneView discover non-HP branded servers (such as those using OpenManage Server Administrator (OMSA)) and resources on a network (managed Ethernet switches, SAN switches, printers, etc.)?

As I called out in my previous statement, no.  HPE OneView has a very specific support matrix, which I advise you take a look at for more information on what devices are supported in the HPE OneView Support Matrix.  If it is not listed, it's not supported.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Andre Stewart
Frequent Advisor

Thank you.  I'd like to see that matrix.  Unfortunately, you link is not working.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

@Sactown , apologies for not seeing your reply in this thread.  Product capabilities are documented within the QuickSpecs and on the main HPE OneView product page and More Information product page (where the QuickSpecs are linked from.)

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

The link takes you to the HPE Support Center, specifically searching for "support matrix".  I tested the URL in another browser (in private mode) to make sure it worked.  To get to it, you can go to https://hpe.com/info/oneview/docs. In the search box on the left, type in "support matrix" and you will get several results.  The 5.60 support matrix was recently updated, even though 6.0 is released and lower in the results.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Andre Stewart
Frequent Advisor

I'm getting the following:

Product not available

Check your account permissions.

Note:
  • Customers and HPE Partners: login using an HPE Passport account associated with your company email address
  • Employees: login via HPE employee sign-in
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

I'm not sure what specifically you are doing. None of our documents for HPE OneView require any login to the HPE Support Center.  And again, I can access the URL's I have posted from another web browser, not logged in, and using InPrivate Mode.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo