HPE OneView
1745790 Members
4299 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Is OneView supported over KVM / RHEV (with virtio drivers)?

Richard Chan
Occasional Contributor

Is OneView supported over KVM / RHEV (with virtio drivers)?

Hi OneView Team,

In my POC lab we are running the OVAs for OneView and Insight Control server provisioning under
KVM and virtio drivers. (It turns out that the VMs are CentOS 6-based and this was surprisingly painless,
given that the kernel auto detected virtio instead of IDE/e1000.)

Would this be supported by HP if we went to production?
(Frankly from the Web GUI alone I doubt anyone could tell the difference.)

For various reasons we cannot use vSphere or Hyper-V.
5 REPLIES 5
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Re: Is OneView supported over KVM / RHEV (with virtio drivers)?

Thank you for your question Richard.  Unfrotuatnely, HP OneView does not support KVM at this time.  It also do not support customers changing the VM between hypervisors.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Richard Chan
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Chris. Can you register KVM/RHEV support as an RFE with the OneView development team?

It works amazingly well under KVM.

Also, it's kinda ironic you left out KVM since the VMs are using a RHEL6-based OS. :-)

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Richard,

Thank you for your post.  Please know that this forum is not an official mechanism to request features, nor discuss unreleased products.  I would ask that you please reach out to your HP Sales team to discuss roadmaps and provide feedback.  They can then forward your feedback to the product development team to help prioritize this work in the product backlog.

Providing official support for a hypervisor requires extensive testing, other than simply using an OS that has some form of hypervisor integration.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

richardhw

Original question was in 2013.  Since then support for KVM is available...

HPE OneView 3.1 release introduced support for Red Hat┬о Enterprise Linux┬о (RHEL) KVM hypervisor in addition to existing support for Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware┬о ESX┬о.

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/V2/getpdf.aspx/4AA4-8543ENW.pdf

_Marcin_K
Occasional Visitor

Support for KVM is just that the file image is qcow2. So, is not available because it will not run with virtio SCSI. You have to use vmware pvscsi. At least this is what I had to under Proxmox5 to get it going HPE_OneView_5.00.02_KVM_Z7550-96805.tar.gz