1752734 Members
5653 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Maintenance mode for Servers

MarioE
Valued Contributor

Maintenance mode for Servers

Is there a way for HPE OneView Version 3.10.07 to put a server into maintenance mode? Every time I take a server power off for maintenance, I get error messages.

11 REPLIES 11
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to suppress these alerts.  We are looking at ways to improve this experience for our customers.  But I do not have anything to share in a public forum at this time.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Fraser Campbell
Occasional Advisor

This is a very badly needed basic feature, it seems we have 2 choices:

• constantly see alerts as server is under known maintenance
  • disable notifications completely when planning maintenance (error prone and could mean missing legit issues)

Please consider implementing ASAP.  Using release 4.00.07-0330056.

I would also suggest there should be a way to set maintenance mode in bulk.  For example, if we have well defined hostnames, we should be able to search Server Hardware section for hostname:*hadoop* or similar, select all matches and put in maintenance for specified time period.

Thanks

Nico_R
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

has this feature already been added in the meanwhile? Just beginning with OneView and miss that maintenance mode as known from VMware etc.

thanks

VY650

I've been using OneView 1.20 and just upgraded to the latest version. I was so sure that this latest version would finally have this feature. I can't believe that it doesn't. Does HP not use OneView themselves in a Production environment and do maintenance on their machines? I'm doing firmware upgrades across our entire HP fleet (without Smart Update) and the amount of alerts flooding our inbox is debilitating.

Esa_Khan
Frequent Visitor

Hey there,

So we are running OneView 5.00.00-0400525 , and I also came across this problem of not being able to put single servers into Maintenance Mode.

One way which definitely works (but can be quite laborious) -

Go to Settings --> Scopes, and create a "Scope" for your servers; put all Production servers in a Scope and all Maintenance servers - the servers on which you will do the maintenance - in another Scope. Then, under Settings --> Notifications, create an entry for "ProdAlerts" and specify the 'Resource scope' as Production and another entry for "MaintAlerts" with the 'Resource scope' as Maintenance. "ProdAlerts" has the relevant/important email addresses to notify and MaintAlerts has only email notification to the admin. Done! 

I think it should also work if you just remove the Maintenance server(s) from the Production Scope - but I didn't test this out.
Like I said, can be laborious - but it works

Another way should be via the API ( /rest/server-hardware ), the server itself has a "maintenanceState" setting, and clearly stated in the Documentation that a value of "Maintenance" suppresses alerts and "Normal" does not. However, with API version 1200, there is no way to set/PATCH this value, i.e. during a maintenance window. It is possible the newer API versions have this feature. Maybe HPE can give some feedback here?

Hope that helps.

MarioE
Valued Contributor

Maintenance Mode was an "Key new features for HPE OneView 5.2":

HPE OneView 5.2 Release Notes

HPE OneView Maintenance Mode - email notifications

Introduced a feature where a server administrator or an infrastructure administrator can put a server into Maintenance
mode during system maintenance.
For a server in maintenance mode:

◦ All Email notifications are suppressed
◦ Remote support data collections are suspended
◦ No remote support service events are sent

The above remains true until maintenance mode is manually disabled for that server. Notifications that were
suppressed are not sent when you exit the maintenance mode.

HPE OneView 5.4 Release Notes

Multi-select servers for maintenance mode

Administrators can now use common multi-select techniques – CTRL or Shift and select – to quickly enable or disable
maintenance mode for multiple servers at the same time. This reduces the need to individually set this setting on multiple
server hardware resources.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

@MarioE is correct.  We added OneView Maintenance Mode in 5.20 and enhanced it in 5.40.  This feature only suppresses email and SNMP notifications within OneView, and does not tie into OS or software stack maintenance mode features.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Eamonn1
Occasional Visitor

Hi Chris, is there a way to schedule a scope of servers for maintenance mode for a specific period of time, or is it only to manyually place servers in and out of maintenance mode? Thank you.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

It is a manual process.  If you want to automate it, the REST API is avaialable to put servers in and out of maintenance mode.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo