1753624 Members
5651 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Move c7000 enclosure from racks in different Datacenters but same oneview

MarcoMilone
Advisor

Move c7000 enclosure from racks in different Datacenters but same oneview

Hi, i want to create a new datacenter facility and new rack facility in same one view and move one of two c7000 enclosure to reproduce the physical layout.

It's supported without outage?

I have a virtul connect, logical enclosure, etc.. all managed via oneview.

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Do you mean you want to create a new Datacenter and Rack within OneView and then move an enclosure from the default Datacenter to this new one?  If so, yes, this is done without any downtime as it is all managed in OneView software.  The exception being the Rack Name, which the Onboard Administrator (OA) can define and OneView can then use to automatically create.

Now, if you are asking about also physically moving this enclosure from one data center to another, then no this cannot be done without downtime.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

MarcoMilone
Advisor

In reality, enclosures are already physically separated. They are in two rooms and two different racks. For me, on a logical level, each room corresponds to a Datacenter. DatacenterA with RackA, DatacenterB with RackB. I would like to move a c7000 from RackA to RackB just logically. I don't understand why but importing to oneview / managed put them in the same rack.
Can you confirm that if I work in the "facility" section, I am not going to modify anything on the virtual connect domains?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

OneView gets the default rack location from the Onboard Administrator.  Can you verify that you provided different rack names in the OA's?  Yes, you can move them within OneView and NO it will NOT make any other software changes.  Especially with Virtual Connect.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

MarcoMilone
Advisor

Rack names were originally different in OA.
After some trial of import in monitored mode (tho check the issues), an OA of second c7000 took the rack name of the c7000 rack already imported.
The rack names are therefore the same on the OAs.
Do you think I have to change the rack names on the OAs first or does the oneview?
Sorry for many questions but i cannot make any outage

Thanks

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Chaning the name of a resource does not cause an outage.  Yes, you would change the rack name in the OA in order to move it within OneView.  That is because the OA has a rack name value. Once you rename the rack in the OA, a simple refresh should take care of putting it within a default rack.  But, I would ensure the rack exists first in OneView, that is the correct model and rack height (if appropriate), so that it can be placed in the correct rack resource.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

MarcoMilone
Advisor

Thanks, yes the rack exists in oneview, 42 units and is empty.
The problem is that when I change the name of the rack in the second c7000, it is automatically changed in the first c7000 as well.
Can I possibly proceed from within oneview? The cude c7000s are in linked mode, can this be a problem?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

With OA Linked Mode they will share the rack name. You can manually move the Enclosure within OneView to another rack. None of this will cause any downtime.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo