5529 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OneView 2.0 - Adding enclosure stuck at 6Gb SAS switch

phalfinger1
Occasional Visitor

OneView 2.0 - Adding enclosure stuck at 6Gb SAS switch

Hi,

This is a brand new OneView 2.0 appliance on HV. We have (3) c7000 enclosures with Gen9 blades. The first 2 enclosures have a pair of 6Gb SAS switches in interconnect bays 5 and 6, and a pair of 6125XLG's in bay 1 and 2. The 3rd enclosure has VC 20/40 F8 modules in bays 1 and 2. Otherwise, all enclosures and Gen9's are identical, same OA version, iLO, etc.

It's been 4 hours since I attempted to add the enclosures to OneView. The 3rd enclosure was added in less than 3 minutes (no SAS switch in that), all fine there. The first 2 enclosures are still stuck at the "create" subtask for interconnect bay 6 (6Gb SAS switch). Interestingly, the SAS switch in bay 5 was added fine, but the operation is hanging at interconnect bay 6 (the 2nd SAS switch), for both enclosures. All SAS switches are on firmware 4.22, and management version 4.1.1.0.

The OA is on firmware 4.40, the Gen9's are on iLO 2.30. I can't abort/cancel this operation, I think it will never complete. I am only trying to add the enclosures for monitoring purposes, not full management, if it makes a difference. Is this a known issue/bug? We really like to move forward with OneView, as we have hundreds of enclosures altogether, but these things scare me.

Thanks,
Peter

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Re: OneView 2.0 - Adding enclosure stuck at 6Gb SAS switch

Hello @phalfinger1, and welcome to the HPE OneView Commiunity Forums.

A few questions:

1. When you went to Enclosures, clicked on the Add Enclosure button (or via the Actions menu), did you select Manage or Monitor as the Add Method?
  2. Do the SAS switches have a valid IP Address that can be reached?

In either case, the SAS switches are not supported modules by OneView (when adding an Enclosure for Managed), and will show up as Inventory anyhow.  Meaning, any possible connections are cannot be managed by OneView, and the device is unmanageable by OneView.  That doesn't mean it can't exist within an Enclosure.

You may need to open a Support Case if the task is still running.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

phalfinger1
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the quick reply.

1) I selected "Monitoring" as the Add Method. A few hours later, as it was still hanging at interconnect bay 6, I reset the whole OneView Appliance, and then tried to add the enclosure for "Management" with the same result. These two are the only Enclosures affected by this, where we have (2) 6Gb SAS switches in interconnect bays 5 and 6, and (2) 6125XLG's in interconnect bays 1 and 2.. The Add Enclosure operation gets into an "infinite loop" at bay 6, when it processes the "create" subtask for the interconnect bays as shown on the "details" page of the running operation.

2) Yes, both SAS switches have valid IPs assigned by the OA, and everything is green when I log in to the SAS Manager.

I am not expecting to be able to manage these SAS switches through OneView. I just would like to add the enclosures without running into an infinite loop - which can only be resolved/interrupted by an appliance "reset".

David J. Nelson
Advisor

I have the exact same problem.  Did you ever get past it?