New Discussion

Re: OneView 3.0: Connection to remote backup location fails

SOLVED
Go to solution
jwe
Frequent Advisor

OneView 3.0: Connection to remote backup location fails

Hello,

I tried to create a scheduled backup in OneView 3.00.05 to a linux host as a remote backup target (SLES11SP3).

Saving the backup configuration creates the following error after about 6 minutes:

"Downloading a test file BACKUP_TEST_FILE to the remote backup location
Operation failed

Issue Operation failed: Connection timed out.
Resolution Ensure the remote backup location can be pinged and retry the operation"

I have tested the scp connection to the backup host using the backup user account from another computer: Works fine.

Debugging the sshd on the backup host shows, that there is some ssh-authentication communication between OneView and the backup host. But in some point of time this communication stops and after some time OV creates the above error.
The linux folks told me, that the communication stops, just before the OV host is expected to send the password for the configured backup user.

We also tried to use a linux host on the same network as a remote backup target: No success as well.
Any ideas, what we can do to fix the problem?

kind regards
Joerg

12 REPLIES 12
Vladislav1
Advisor

I support this functionality does not work well. Also could not adjust it.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

The connection is prettry straightforward.  We not only need a user account to authenticate with, but also the ssh-rsa public key of the target host.  Can you verify that the firewall service allows SCP from your OneView appliance, or is turned off?

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

jwe
Frequent Advisor

Hi Chris,

we moved the backup target to the same subnet as the OV-appliance. No firewall-service started in the backup-target. The ssh-rsa public key has been entered in the backup configuration.

After clicking "save" OV tries to validate the settings an this will abort after about 6 min in any setup we tested (different OV users, different subnets, ...).

Have created a HPE support ticket.

regards
Joerg

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

The issue is with your SCP/SFTP target.  As a test, can you try BitVise SSH Server as a target?  It is free and a tool I use in my lab for testing this feature, for when I perform regression testing on the PowerShell library.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

IVAYLOKRUMOV
Occasional Visitor

I am having the same issue with Open View  Firmware 3.10.04-0299553

Downloading a test file BACKUP_TEST_FILE to the remote backup location
Operation failed

Issue

Operation failed: Connection timed out.
Resolution

Verify connectivity between the appliance and the remote backup location. It may be helpful to ping the remote backup location.

The SFTP / SCP target repository is hosting several other clients without any issue. Only HPE OneView SFTP/SCP is having troubles. The appliance and the SFTP repository are on the same network.

It is clearly an issue with the appliance

jwe
Frequent Advisor

Chris,

BitVise works like a charm! But since several other networking devices are transfering their configuration backup to the linux host via scp, I'm wondering what's wrong with the ssh/scp-connection between OV and that linux host.
Are there any special ssh requirements or recommended configuration settings for the scp target?

regards

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

I am not aware of any special requirements for linux SCP.  In fact, we test in house with CentOS SSH to validate that feature.  Could you share your user /etc/passwd file for just that account that is defined on your Linux SCP host?  Do remember to remove the password, and anonomize the account name if you need to.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

peterthewolfe
Visitor

Do you have the right ssh host key? It's not the key from the backup account. it's the sshd host key (e.g. the one used to compute the fingerprint that ssh displays during a first-time connection to a new host). So it's the public key from /etc/ssh/ on a standard Linux box

jwe
Frequent Advisor

For testing purposes we connected a linux test machine to the same network as the OV-appliance and used the root account to upload the backup file. So the entry for the root-user in the passwd-file looks like on any linux system (root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash).