New Discussion

Re: OneView Autodiscover / range chek

SOLVED
Go to solution
KSM1
Advisor

OneView Autodiscover / range chek

Hi,

I wonder if there will be an auto discover for new mounted BL or DL servers in oneview, or if it would be possible to put in ranges to chek eg. 10.80.0.0-10.80.1.255 , like in HPSIM, so everytime a new server is added to that range it will be adopted by oneview.

br

Kenneth

Best Regards
Kenneth
4 REPLIES 4
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

The feature you are asking for was added to the HPE OneView 4.00 release when you select the Add Hardware button.  The field is no longer a single text input box, but a multi-line text box.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

KSM1
Advisor

I know about the range add in Add Hardware.

But I was looking for a more automated process that continues to check the range afterwards, not just that one time where you add the new hardware :)

Does that make more sense?

Best Regards
Kenneth
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro
Solution

Yes, and that's not a feature we are looking to implement at this time.  One of the major draw backs to that is HPSIM would execu run te that automated task, and get hung up trying to "scan" a large number of addresses.  Time would lapse and that task would still be executing, and another one would start, stacking subsequent tasks.  Which then lead to serious performance issues.  So, when we would go to customers to install HPSIM/Insight Control, the first thing we would do is disable the automatic discovery task.

And it's not just a matter of "hey, well just cancel the task if it takes too long."  What happens if the task was in the middle of trying to discover a particular resource?  Or you have a very large address range that the "scan" just can never successfully complete?  We are selective in the features older products had that we then look to incorporate into HPE OneView.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

KSM1
Advisor

Thanks Chris :)

that answer helped a lot to clarify why this is not an option :)

Kenneth

Best Regards
Kenneth