HPE OneView
1748265 Members
4027 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: OneView Upgrade to 1.20

OneView Upgrade to 1.20

1.20.01-0021397, Dec 12, 2014

All other versions except 1.03 is supported for direct update. That is very strange. I tried updating it though but it did not work. There was no warning and the process went through, the 1.2 update image was deleted, and the login screen appeared, but the version was still 1.03.

Domain\username login is not of much use. I still had to pick AD Login from the dropdown list.

I suggest taking a snapshot and a backup before attempting any update on the appliance.

The network diagram for ESXi stil doesn't appear.

12 REPLIES 12
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

All other versions except 1.03 is supported for direct update. That is very strange. I tried updating it though but it did not work. There was no warning and the process went through, the 1.2 update image was deleted, and the login screen appeared, but the version was still 1.03.

By 1.03 I assume you either mean 1.05 or 1.10.03.  In either case, that is not true.  The 1.20 update supports all 1.x versions as an upgrade path.  There have been some rare cases where customers have a number of SPP's in the firmware repository on the appliance, and the upgrade fails.  The 1.20 upgrade includes a custom 2014.11 SPP that is documented in the 1.20 Release Note and Support Matrix.

Domain\username login is not of much use. I still had to pick AD Login from the dropdown list.

You still need to select the directory to authenticate with.  The Username field is what's passed to the directory server.  Remember, we support LDAP and Active Directory, and LDAP has no concept of "DomainName\Username" as that is specific to Microsoft.

I suggest taking a snapshot and a backup before attempting any update on the appliance.

Unfortuantely, live snapshot of a VM is not supported.  There are a number of internal factors that prevent OneView from supporting that method.  You can however power off the VM and take a snapshot prior to upgrade.  I would still suggest getting an appliance backup over snapshots anyhow.

The network diagram for ESXi stil doesn't appear.

This is not an HP OneView appliance issue, rather the plugin.  Unfortunately, it is a known issue with 7.4.2, and will be fixed in the upcoming 7.5 release.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

FYI the update went fine, without any issues, on my 1.10 installation...

First opinions: like the changeable Dashboard and the reports...

Still missing: Collections from HP SIM... Besides that great progress!

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !

You are the lucky one Bart!!  I had no success. My attempts to upgrade from 1.10.03 repeatedly failed. I had to go to 1.10.07 and then to 1.20.

Chris....sorry for the version mistake.

Bart...were you able to see the network diagram prior to 7.5?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

if you can reproduce the issue, call into support with a support dump so we can look at why it happened.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

I will do that. I have already upgraded to 1.20. Will the dumps from this be OK? Or I will go back to the 1.10.03 snapshot and then attempt it again.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

I can't remeber I had issues with the diagrams in any recent version... Just had to find the right location to enter all credentials... But as such it worked fine for me...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

@Sunil Thazhathupurakkal wrote:

I will do that. I have already upgraded to 1.20. Will the dumps from this be OK? Or I will go back to the 1.10.03 snapshot and then attempt it again.

Since the appliance has been upgraded, it would be unlikely that Support would take the call.  Private Message me a link to the appliance support dump and I'll take a look at it myself.

Remember, appliance snapshots are not supported.  There is a lot of internal communication that prevents OneView from supporting VM snapshots today.  So, if you do have another appliance that is running 1.10.03, and you can reproduce the 1.20 upgrade failure, then do call into HP Support and have an appliance support dump available.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

markzz
Advisor

Failed to upgrade here too..

Before attempting the upgrade I created a config backup and exported it, also I powered down the oneview vm and performed a cold backup of it (documenting it's MAC also)

I have tried to upgrade from 1.10.03 to 1.20 unsucessfully.

I suspect the issue there was not enough space to install the custom SPP as we have 4 SPP's in the runnning oneview VM already.

I'll look to clean up the number of SPP's before attempting this again.

When I started writing this oneview was hung reporting it had failed the upgrade and would shortly reboot.. 4 hours later I powered it off gracefully as it still had not rebooted.

OnceView is backup and functional after a controled restart..

I still don't seem to be able to remove the SPP's we are nbot using.

I look at all this fluffing around and wonder why not just create a backup, export the backup. Import the new oneview version 1.20 from the .ovf then import the config.?

We have been using oneview since it's original release. Maybe it's time to just replace it with a new VM???? 

When I try to remove/delete a SPP version from oneview I recoeve an error

"Firmware bundle could not be removed.

Unable to find the Service Pack for Prolient (SPP) baseline:

SPP2014060_2014_0618_4

RESOLUTION Verify that the service pack is present in the respository and try again."

Again I suggest maybe it's time to import a new OVF, import the configuration backup etc.. (start with a clean slate)