New Discussion

Re: OneView for VMware vCenter 8.0.1 Communication Issues

SOLVED
Go to solution
Edward L. Haletky
Valued Contributor

OneView for VMware vCenter 8.0.1 Communication Issues

Hello,

All my HPE Servers, OA, iLO, and VC show up as unavailable under communication. I have the following:

3 BL460c Gen8 installed recently from the HPE 6.0U2 April 2016 Custom ISO with upgraded to the latest firmware from the 2016.04 SPP. ESXi is booted from 32GB MicroSD cards. Each blade is identical in CPU, Memory, and On board disks.

I have configured the Global usernames and passwords for each element. I have also configured per IP usernames and passwords for iLOs, VC, OA, and ESXi hosts.

In addition, I have set up HPE SSO for each iLO, OA, and HPSIM host using the OneView for VMware vCenter certificate.

The StoreVirtual, SIM, and IPM portlets appear and work as expected. The ILO, OA, and VC portlets do not appear. Infrastructure shows No Data Available. Networking has question marks and host information is missing. After making username changes I did click on Rediscover Node. I also rebooted the 8.0.1 appliance. In fact it was reinstalled as well (yes I removed the plugin before reinstalling and for good measure restarted the web client).

Nothing seems to work. Communication is unavailable. A look at the OV4VC server.log  (which you have to download as a collection from the OV4VC Administration pages -- https://ov4vc/ui/index.html -- then unpack and inspect) shows many of the following errors:

portlets.collector ERROR Error collecting server_entity for HostSystem:host-XX: 404 not found.
portlets.collector ERROR Error collecting oa_entity. No iLO for HostSystem:host-XX.

Then many:

engines.ic4vc_webserver INFO Discovering entity
engines.csc_engine ERROR unable to get entity type

Further errors show many:

AttributeError: type object '' has no attribute 'entity_type'

I cannot test any query as the logs do not actually show the queries used to verify why a 404 error is occurring.

Any help would be appreciated. If you need more information please let me know. I just reimported all the credentials and tested them before import and all of them work as expected. Is there a custom setting I need that I do not know about?

Everything I read in the docs says it is a credentials issue, but could it be a certificate issue within the appliance?

Any help would be appreciated.

Edward L. Haletky
AstroArch Consulting, Inc.

8 REPLIES 8
Edward L. Haletky
Valued Contributor

Hello,

More information. Thinking that this was just an issue with my current install. I reinstalled OV4VC 8.0.1. I reconfigured the networks (2) One for Admin and One for iSCSI (to reach the StoreVirtual). If I could add a route, then the 2nd would not be needed. Which to me would be a good thing. I then reimported the creds, set the default creds and once more got to the same spot but now see the following in the /var/log/ov4vc/server/hpserver.log that has been exported:

engines.csc_engine ERROR Exception in run for host HostIpmiInfo instance has no attribute 'password'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/hpov4vc_server_git/hpserverbuild/engines/csc_engine.py", line 101, in run
File "/home/hpov4vc_server_git/hpserverbuild/engines/csc_engine.py", line 368, in start_cs_discovery
File "/home/hpov4vc_server_git/hpserverbuild/engines/csc_engine.py", line 332, in update_entity_list
AttributeError: HostIpmiInfo instance has no attribute 'password'

Thinking that perhaps it was a stuck process, I rebooted the OV4VC VM, yet a look at the logs once more show me the same errors being repeated.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edward L. Haletky

Edward L. Haletky
Valued Contributor

Hello,

Even more information....

The values for Dynamic Power Management are configured but DPM itself is not enabled as I have VSAN enabled. I Have tried to associate the iLOS via the host properties as well but that does not seem to work. Everytime I view Host Properties the fields are set for Global credentials, even though I set them per host. Yet the credentials as properly stored, just not associated with any host.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky

Edward L. Haletky
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I was able to verify that the HostIpmiInfo while set for everything else does not contain a password. Which explains why the other errors. Just not sure why OV4VC requires calling for it a couple 1000 times. However, I did set the password in the vCenter Web Client. It does not appear in the MoB for vCenter. It shows up unset. Which if iLO is being determined by the HostIpmiInfo then it should find the IP etc. and use the default password within OV4VC for the iLO.

This could be a 6.0U2 issue.

As always, any help is appreciated. Still does not work. :(

Edward L. Haletky

Edward L. Haletky
Valued Contributor

Hello,

The real problem seems to be:

2016-08-22 22:27:55,986 140492885411584 portlets.collector ERROR Error collecting server_entity for HostSystem:host-XX: 404 not found
2016-08-22 22:27:55,986 140492885411584 portlets.collector ERROR Error collecting server_entity for HostSystem:host-XX: 404 not found

If I knew what was giving the 404 I could solve the problem. Now, it is possible to ping by domain, ping by address, ping by shortname any esxi host and iLO.

Still in the dark on this however.

Thoughts anyone?

Edward

Edward L. Haletky
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hello,

Solved some of the problem... By removing DPM settings from vCenter and redeploying OV4VC, I was able to get ILO, SIM, IPM, VC, and OA portlets to show up.  So the problem was the hold over from previous versions of OV4VC. If you need DPM, this solution may not work for you. It looks like the DPM Password save mechanism has changed so OV4VC was not finding the password, so did not find the iLO via DPM. By removing the settings within DPM iLO was found by using the HP Management Tools part of the HPE CUstom Image or Offline Bundle.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky

CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

Edward - thanks for posting what you found here. I'm sure someone will find it helpful. 

Ptyool
Occasional Advisor

Hi Edward,

I can confirm what you are saying, if IPM/iLO parameters are set for the ESXi host, OV4VC is not able to communicate with the host.

Does someone know if it is planned to fix this in the next release ?

Regards,

Julien.

Edward L. Haletky
Valued Contributor

Hello Julien,

HPE is aware of the issue. However, not sure about the release schedule. IMHO, DPM is of limited use. For small environments it is not very useful. For large environments, that truly depends on workloads. I have had mine configured but disabled for years. Once you start playing around with VSAN, DPM is automatically disabled and you can never reenable it. That of course may change if you have a large enough VSAN deployment.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky