HPE OneView

OneView is unable to start

MCSAP
Frequent Advisor

OneView is unable to start

Attempted 5.3 to 5.4 upgrade on May 27th.  Appliance failed upgrade and failed to come back online.  Reverted to pre-upgrade VMware snapshot; however, appliance failed to come up as 5.3.  This to me indicates issue was not upgrade related and was residual and only showed during appliance reboot.

HPE Case P1 case 5355978800.

Troubleshooting by HPE engineer indicates Jetty and Postgres are not starting.  Internal KB suggests corrupt table; however, support escalation is not providing update/solution.

Question - if we revert to a NetApp based snapshot(restore) of the OV appliance, will there be any impact on the 100+ managed servers in OneView?  Will there be ghost/residual/legacy OneView entries on server iLO?  

We'd be going back about 10 days before the event.  Many thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Re: OneView is unable to start

Sorry you have run into this issue.  Are you aware of the HPE OneView Update Readiness Checker?  It is supported with OneView 4.20 and newer.  You should use it in the future.

I just looked, and your support case is being elevated to higher level of support.  I have asked someone to help push this along.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

MCSAP
Frequent Advisor

Re: OneView is unable to start

Closing the loop on this.  My issue had nothing to do with the upgrade.  Previous support case with HPE, the technician manually edited a postgres table with an incorrect option (null/blank instead of true/false).  This caused the database to fail at start-up...which wasn't presented until the upgrade process restarted the appliance.

Lessons learned:

1 - understand what HPE support is doing when they console into the appliance and manually edit the database (our outsourced IT Operations team were leading a separate case weeks before my upgrade).  If I had known what was done two weeks prior it would have expedited the troubleshooting of my issue.

2 - reboot the appliance before upgrade to uncover issues with appliance health.