Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oneview Orchestrated esxi blade firmware update

Highlighted
dhaynes
Occasional Contributor

Oneview Orchestrated esxi blade firmware update

I am attempting to configure Oneview to automatically update the firmware of my Esxi hosts and reboot them without service interruption by using the Hypervisor Cluster Profiles. The firmware gets installed, but the servers do not go into maintenance mode or reboot and I get a warning saying, 

The firmware has been installed, but a reboot is required for activation. A reboot was not performed because the system is not in a Maintenance mode

According to the (sparse) documentation on this subject, automated rolling maintenance mode and reboots can be accomplished if the Orchestrated Firmware update is enabled. I cannot find that setting anywhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Re: Oneview Orchestrated esxi blade firmware update

The vCenter Maintenance Mode (MM) operation is automatically handled by OneView.  Did you see any task attempt in your vCenter console to put the hypervisor host into MM?  You can go into OneView, select the top level menu, then Hypervisor Hosts, select the node, then in the Actions menu select Enter maintenance mode.  Is that succcessful?  Did you see the task in vCenter?

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

dhaynes
Occasional Contributor

Chris,

When running the updates prior to this response I did not any task in vcenter to put the hosts in to MM. OneView paused after installing the firmware, but before activating it (I even gave it a few hours for one host just in case) until I put the host into maintenance mode manually.

I did not see the option in the Actions menu to put each individual host into MM. I will try that on the last two servers that I need to update..

The gist that I got from the manual was that under the right conditions, when a new firmware baseline is created and the hosts are set to update from template, OneView would roll through the hosts one by one putting them into maintenance mode, activating the firmware, and restarting them. That is my ultimate goal if at all possible.

Highlighted
dhaynes
Occasional Contributor

I found that when a server profile is inconsistent with the server profile template there is an option in the Actions drop down menu of Hypervisor Cluster Profiles to remediate all hosts.. I was going to test it out, but forgot to install SUT and set it to autodeployreboot before I clicked the button, so the host errored out and I had to update it through Host Profiles.

The next time that I have SPPs to do I will test it out.