Advisor

Re: Oneview Profile annoyances

No problem, will do now.

As for the firmware.  We have two at 4.40 and one at 4.50

csouthy
Advisor

Hi Chris,

Just an update for you.  I decided to increase the resources assigned to the VM.

HP reccomends the following

2 Virtual CPUs (i increased to 4)

10GB RAM (I increased to 26GB)

I did a test and my profile went from 15 minutes average, down to 42 seconds!  Clearly an absolute turnaround.  I am continuing to test and it would be good if you could see the same results if you increased the appliances resources in your test environment.

But from initial results, maybe the recommended specs on the Installation doco should be increased

Interested to hear how you go.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Please know that increasing the VM resources isn't a supported operation.  Yes, you can add more vCPU or RAM as you have.  However, the appliance will not scale its internal resources to utilize those additional resources it has been given.  When did add those resources, did you reboot the appliance?  If so, in some of our findings, rebooting the appliance helps, but overtime the issue will return.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

csouthy
Advisor

Hi Chris,

The increased resources was from a recommendation from HP support, so it seems the left hand is not talkng to the right.

A reboot was required and this in turn could have been the contributing factor as well.

From what you're mentioning, seems to be some sort of stability issue in which the applicaiton has issues after being up for a period of time?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

The increased resources was from a recommendation from HP support, so it seems the left hand is not talkng to the right.

They should not have recommended that at all.  Inreasing the Appliance resource allocation is not supported.

From what you're mentioning, seems to be some sort of stability issue in which the applicaiton has issues after being up for a period of time?

Yes.  Because after a reboot of my lab appliance Server Profile operations were dramatically improved like your experience was, without increasing the default vCPU and RAM allocation.  Deleting a Profile prior to reboot would take 15+ minutes, after reboot took 46sec.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

We released the 2.00.07 patch last Friday, 24/06/2016, which one of the fixes resolves the 15min Server Profile operations you were experiencing.  I would highly suggest folks start planning on upgrading their 2.00.02 appliances to 2.00.07.  As always, perform a backup and save it prior to upgrading.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

csouthy
Advisor

Thanks Chris, great news

PatrickLong
Trusted Contributor

I don't want to make too big a deal about it, but I too was given the recommendation by support personnel to increase the resources allocated to the appliance.  Also interesting to note, this HP Advisory released 2016-06-24 gives specific guidance to do the same...

"To further reduce the risk of exposure to this issue, increase the number of vCUPs to 4 or greater and the amount of memory to 16GB for the OneView appliance."

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c05185536&hprpt_id=HPGL_ALERTS_1910910&jumpid=em_alerts_us-us_Jun16_xbu_all_all_745865_1910910_ServersEnterpriseSolutions_critical__/

Not trying to tip the apple cart, just wanted to point out the discrepancy.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

@PatrickLong, Yes, there are some cases where increasing the vCPU and vRAM to 4 and 16GB respectively will help avoid certain cases.  We are not advising that all customers increase these values.  Yes, they can, we don't prohibit.  If customers can support 4 vCPU and 16GB of RAM, we aren't going to stop them.  However, the appliance is not going to scale to utilize all of the new resources provided.  We are looking to provide that functionality in a future release.

We limited the appliance initially to those values so we couldn't impose unreasonable sysem resource requirements.  We are actively not only rethinking that approach, but will deliver the ability to scale the appliance resources when provided.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

markzz
Advisor

Hi All

I'm reading this forum and see your finding OneView poses some challenges.. i can only agree there.

15 Minues to apply a Server Profile.. I'm envious..

From the time I insert a new blade into a chassis, I wait for Onview to clunk along for 30 minutes or so I can then apply a profile.. Applying the profile will take an additional 20-30 minutes.

This is so very frustrating as I'm sitting here at midnight waiting for a profile to apply right now. (if it works).

I'm frsutrated.. 40 minutes later OneView thinks the profile is still applying. But I can see the blades console and therefore can confirm the server is up and running it's OS, it just can't see any NIC's or HBA's.

Yes Chris, I know your going to tell me to call support and log a call.. Excellent idea. Sorry I don't have the 4 hours I'll need to spend with with level 1 and 2 support so I can get to someone in level 3 who escalates to the engineering team..

OneView is not your finest piece of work HP..

None of these issues when you use DL series servers.