New Discussion юеВ

Panel that shows servers with temperature above X

SOLVED
Go to solution
BjornM
Frequent Advisor

Panel that shows servers with temperature above X

Hi!

I'm a oneview noob, but i'm trying to make a panel that will display any server/server-hardware that has a temperature / average temperature above X.

So, lets say you have 50 different locations/server rooms, each with 1 (or more) servers. It would be quite useful to get an alert if any of the servers reported a intake temperature above X. It would make it quick and easy to see if any of the locations were having issues with cooling or such.

So, is this possible to do, and if so, how ? 

12 REPLIES 12
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Re: Panel that shows servers with temperature above X

Will the temperature monitoring need to be lower than what an iLO would already generate when system temp or inlet temp reaches 107F?  When a server reaches the Warning threshold, an alert is generated, which would be received by OneView and show up in the Activity page for that resource.  You can have an alert email when that alert is triggered and received by the appliance.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

BjornM
Frequent Advisor

It would be preferrable if it was possible to have a view that worked "before" the 41C (107F), to catch any issues as early as possible. 

I know i can view the temperatures from the ILO in Oneview, but my attempts at making a panel that turns red/yellow if the temperature is above X have been unsuccessful so far. Would be very nice if it could turn yellow at say 30C and red at 40C or something like that. 

Admittedly the Oneview install is abit old by now (.5.0), but should hopefully be upgraded to 6.3 sometime this week, if that affects what is possible to do.

PatrickLong
Trusted Contributor

@BjornMI can't comment on your goal of creating a panel with custom temperature alerting, but since you did mention upgrading your dated OneView installation I did want to point out that you will want to carefully plan that multi-step action.  If you are starting at OneView 5.0 as you say, you will have a four-step upgrade path (5.0>5.3, 5.3>5.4, 5.4>6.0, 6..3) to get to latest 6.3 release; please refer to the HPE Synergy Upgrade Paths page for more information. and be sure to use the OneView Update Readiness Checker

BjornM
Frequent Advisor

@PatrickLong 

I was aware of the upgrade path, and did try to do the first upgrade step today from 5.0 to 5.3, but it did not want to update/upgrade due to an error with "Update appliance Error 42s"

"Issue: The appliance update operation failed because one or more Cisco Fabric Extender for HP Bladesystem interconnects are being managed or present in logical interconnect group. Manageing these interconnects is no longer supported."

And since i have little experience with those, and am uncertain the consequences of just removing those from oneview, i did not get any further on that upgrade attempt today.... and for some reason https://support.hpe.com kept redirecting me to salesforce today, so couldnt register a case for it either.....

What i would really like to do is to deploy a fresh install of oneview 6.3, and start from scratch, but as far as i've understood, that is not possible due to how lisencing works, and that we would loose a bunch of lisences or somesuch....

But if you know of a way i could start from scratch with a brand new virtual appliance, where i could slowly add in all the HW we wanted to monitor one by one, that would be nice

ManBha
HPE Pro

Hello,

Please do refer the below guide.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00019481en_us

Thanks.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below and accept the solution.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

BjornM
Frequent Advisor

@ManBha Could you be a little bit more spesific than just referring me to a 4+ year old ~300 page guide ?

I did look/search through it, and could not find any examples on how to configure a panel that shows temperature. 

Ideally i'd like it to be something like Green = <25C, Yellow = 25-35C, Red= >35C or something like that.

ManBha
HPE Pro

Hello,

The guide shared was to configure a new virtual appliance.

Also, the option to monitor the temperature is not available.

Thanks.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

BjornM
Frequent Advisor

@ManBha 

Aha!

Thank you for your explenation!

With regards to monitoring, how come this is not possible ? The temperature is listed and viewable in Oneview, so it seems strange to me that it is not possible to monitor it somehow. But if it is not possible, then i'll have to look at other ways of doing that, instead of through OneView.

With regards to deploying a new/fresh OneView appliance,  there are no issues with regards to lisencing, if i wanted to deploy a new OneView installation, and then add our current hardware to it ?  (Once everything is on the new appliance, the old one would ofcourse be terminated/deleted)

Some random posts i found by searching seemed to imply that there was some potential issues with moving lisences from one installation to the other, but if that is not the case, then it's very tempting to deploy a fresh install with the latest version.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro
Solution

With regards to monitoring, how come this is not possible ? The temperature is listed and viewable in Oneview, so it seems strange to me that it is not possible to monitor it somehow. But if it is not possible, then i'll have to look at other ways of doing that, instead of through OneView.

Temp is not collected every second, or minute.  Server status is refreshed every 20 minutes when there is no SNMP trap or event from the iLO.  If you are looking for real-time temp monitoring, I would advise you look at some of the partner integrations we have, with Schneider Electric or Eaton.

With regards to deploying a new/fresh OneView appliance,  there are no issues with regards to lisencing, if i wanted to deploy a new OneView installation, and then add our current hardware to it ?  (Once everything is on the new appliance, the old one would ofcourse be terminated/deleted)

Some random posts i found by searching seemed to imply that there was some potential issues with moving lisences from one installation to the other, but if that is not the case, then it's very tempting to deploy a fresh install with the latest version.

While you could, we do not recommend it unless otherwise explicitly stated by an HPE support engineer as a last case resort to recoverying an unrecoverable appliance.  We have made significant changes to how we update the appliance, and the reliability of the update process.  The Update Readiness Checker (URC) is available to check for known conditions that would have prevented a successful update.  It is recommended that it be used prior to updating your appliance.  It is a non-disruptive, external tool that will run som analysis scripts on the appliance to generate a report.

Now, to your original question about monitoring temp.  We only collect temp as part of utilization data. It cannot be searched, as utilization data is not part of the appliance search index.  So unfortunately, we cannot create a panel that will show you this data natively within OneView today.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo