1752808 Members
5612 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Remove Used Server from HPE OneView

JeepTed
Visitor

Remove Used Server from HPE OneView

I recently obtained a used HP DL380 G9 for my home lab. When I accessed the System Config, the ILO Configuration option is grayed out. It gives the message that the "...system is being managed by HPE OneView." 

I reached out to the previous owner and was told that the OneView infrastructure was taken down a while ago and is no longer available. 

How can this server be "reset" so ILO config can be accessed?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
support_s
System Recommended
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Re: Remove Used Server from HPE OneView

You have two choices:

1. Factory reset the iLO
  2. Authenticate to the iLO UI, navigate to the HPE OneView menu item in the left navigation pane, and click the "Delete" button to remove the OneView configuration from the ilO.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

JeepTed
Visitor

@ChrisLynch 

Thank you for the response Chris. I appreciate it.

I will be unable to authenticate to the ILO UI as I do not have the credentials. 

Therefore, resetting ILO back to default would be the preferred method. However, I am unfamiliar with how to do that. Can you provide some documention or instructions on how to accomplish that?

Thanks again. 

JeepTed
Visitor

...Also keep in mind that the ILO configuration option in the System Config is grayed out because it is currently tied to OneView. Knowing that, how can it be factory reset?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

This is the process on how to factory reset a ProLiant Gen9 server.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

JeepTed
Visitor

Hi Chris,

I tried both default resets - system and manufacture. Neither changed the state of the ILO Configuration option in the Perform Maintenance option. It is still grayed out, giving the same message - "...system is being managed by HPE OneView."

Not being able to access it prevents its credentials from being modified. 

Do you have any other suggestions for resetting it so its config can be accessed?

Thanks,

Ted

DanCernese
HPE Pro

If you don't have administrator credentials there will be plenty of other things you cannot perform.  It would be best to obtain or reset them.. ..and then this specific issue could easily be resolved by #2 above.  If there are no other user credentials (other than the one OneView created) then you may need someone in support to help you physically reset the iLO security.

I am an HPE Employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Another option can be to flip System Maintenance Switch S1 on the system board to ON.  This will bypass iLO security, and allow you to authenticate to it without a password.  Once there, you can then do #2 as I stated above, then perform a factory reset of the iLO after.  Just then remember to switch the dip switch back to OFF.

The cover panel should have a systemboard diagram showing where the various components are located, including the System Maintenance Switch.  If for some reason you cannot find it, the documentation for it is here.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

tilt
Occasional Advisor

After deleting the OneView I can no longer access the Intelligence provisioning.  When I press F10 during boot it just continues to boot. I did try some trouble shooting. I tried rebooting factory reset ilo and bioss RBSU Any assistance would be much appreciated.