108761 Solutions
New Discussion

SUT

SOLVED
Go to solution
BradV
Esteemed Contributor

SUT

If we are only applying firmware updates through the OneView server profile, do we need to run the sut daemon on our servers?  That is, does it do anything with just applying firmware updates?

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: SUT

SUT can be viewed as a similar component as VMware Tools or the Linux Integration Services for Hyper-V.  While SUT doesn't actually install the components itself, it is an orchestration component that brokers operations for onlinse baseline installations that must be performed from the OS to the iLO.  Whether that be via iLO5 Install Sets/Repository, or virtual media mount with iLO4.

For offline updates, no, it is not required. Keep in mind that offline updates only support firmware installations, without driver or HPE utilty installations/updates.  You must perform an online installation, in order to install driver and utility updates for supported operating systems.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

BradV
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SUT

Hi Chris,

Thanks.  That is what I needed to know.  We install required utilities (e.g.: hpconcfg) via salt.  We use OneView server profiles to just push firmware updates (as well as boot settings, BIOS settings, and iLO settings).  We have all Gen 10 servers and recently noticed /var/tmp/sut/libhpsrv.debug.log was growing to occupy most of the space in /var.  After checking around, I realized this was because all of our iLOs are in a higher security state than production.  So, an sut -status would just tell us that.  I dreaded having to go on several hundred servers to run the sut -set ilousername=...  It would be far easier just to remove it.