108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Silence alerts for an unused NIC?

SOLVED
Go to solution
BradV
Esteemed Contributor

Silence alerts for an unused NIC?

All of our Proliant DL systems have an onboard 1G NIC.  We are not using any of them at this time.  OneView keeps alerting us about all links down on those NICs.  Is there a way to tell OneView to ignore them or the various iLOs?  They come as critical alerts.  It makes it much more difficult to find the really critical alerts.

5 REPLIES 5
StorageMike
HPE Pro

Re: Silence alerts for an unused NIC?

Hi

If the NIC isn't used then you need to disable it.  This will stop the alert being generated.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

BradV
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mike,

How exaclty do I disable it?  Are you talking about a udev rule to disable, or is there a function in iLO to do it?

I think I was over thinking it.  ONBOOT=no and NM_CONTROLLED=no in the appropriatre ifcfg file shouild do it. 

StorageMike
HPE Pro

Hi Brad

Disabling the NIC at the OS level should stop the alerts.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I hope server is working with the latest bios and ILO firmware as well as with the latest agentless management service.

If all are updated, you have to disable NIC from the bios, if you are not using those ports.

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

BradV
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

We wound up having to make a few more server profile templates.  For the DL380s, one template was OK since the 1G NIC is the onboard 331i.  So, it was consistent.  For the DL560s, it was mostly a 361T, but the slot it was in was different based on when a server was delivered.  So, once we knew exactly which slot the 1G NIC was in, we assigned it to the server profile template that had that slot disabled.  

So, we were able to do this through OneView, just had to be very meticulous.