4934 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Synergy Fabric Manager with Cisco ACI

jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Synergy Fabric Manager with Cisco ACI

Hi

Are they're any restrictions or caveats when using OneView fabric manager with Cisco ACI and VMM intragtion? I'm seeing an issue whereby the Fabric Manager is showing as 'inconsistent' due to the  dynamic VLAN range including VLANs determined to be 'unexpected' by Fabric Manager. I can understand that for the VLANs within the range that are not allocated by ACI but this also seems to be the case for Dynamic VLANs that are in use by ACI. It's not affecting VLANs that are statically assigned to the uplink ports.

There are a couple of impacts with this, firtly the warning is always there within the OneView GUI and if I acknowledge the warning it simply returns a while later but more importantly is that is the option to 'remediate' the issue is selected the VLAN is removed from the Uplink set which is a very undesirable outcome.

Is there a way to fix this issue or is the use of fabric manager in this envronment not supported currently? The version of OneView is 5.4

kind regards

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

When you say "VMM", do you mean Microsoft System Center VMM?  If so, we have only tested Cisco ACI integration with Fabric Manager and VMware vSphere.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Hi Chris

Thanks for the quick reply - by VMM I just mean ACI virtual machine manager as detailed many times in the following doc

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00003736en_us

However, spookily, you're right, the underlying hypervisor we're working with is Hyper V and not VMware.... so that may be the issue. Are you saying that ACI integration with Fabric Manager is only qualified with VMware and therefore any issues we're seeing with fabric manager within our environment can't be supported?

Isn't fabric manager just pulling information directly from the cisco switch and not aware of the underlying hypervisor version running on the Synergy hosts - not sure? I'm happy to take you're guidance on supported environments for fabric manager with Cisco ACI

many thanks

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

I would open a support case on this question.  The user forums here aren't the right avenue to get support for this issue.  Yes, we primarily test ACI support with VMware vSphere, even though OneView only makes changes to the connections and assigned Network Sets within the associated server profiles.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Thanks Chris - will do

jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Hi Chris

Do you perhaps know if there is a way to prevent fabric manager from displaying a warning in the event of any detected inconsistancies - a bit like you can with server profiles?

I thought there might perhaps be something using REST API to surpress any inconsistency warnings?

thanks

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Appologies for not replying sooner.  We had a technical challange preventing replies yesterday.

The consistency alert should be in an Active state. You can clear it, or change the state of the alert to Cleared (UI or API). Do know that clearing the alert does not suppress future alerts. The alert will be generated again during any refreshes of the fabric manager.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Thanks Chris

So we can clear the event as you say, but yes, it comes back and so not really the solution we need. If there's no easy way to permanent surpress the warning then I think we'd need to remove the tenent, but I'll see if support have any thoughts as to if what I'm seeing is an issue or just because the environment I'm running in hasn't yet been qualified.

thanks