1748089 Members
5070 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Troubleshooting Upgrade Failure

MCSAP
Frequent Advisor

Troubleshooting Upgrade Failure

I ran into an issue with a 5.00.02 upgrade to 5.3 of a VMware appliance.  The appliance hung at starting services for over an hour before I had to kill it and roll back.

How can I access the real-time logs/activity on the appliance during the upgrade process?  I'd like to run through the upgrade again and access logs to troubleshoot/identify what step its hanging.

Upgrade process I followed was:

• Upgrade old appliance from 5.00.02 to 5.3
  • Create/download backup
  • Restore backup to new 5.3 appliance
  • This is when startup hangs for over an hour and I was forced to revert back to the original appliance/version.

Thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Before attempting to install the update, please run the HPE OneView Update Readiness Checker.  This will help identify known issues with your appliance prior to updating.  We do not provide access to "real-time" log files.  If you attempt it again and have the same result, please open a support case.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

DanCernese
HPE Pro

Just for clarification on your process outline.  This would be one typical sequence:

• Create & download backup of 5.00.02 appliance
  • Upgrade old appliance from 5.00.02 to 5.3
  • [assuming it works]
  • Create & download backup of 5.3 appliance

There is normally no restore involved.

I am an HPE Employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
MCSAP
Frequent Advisor

The reason for the restore is that the original OVA appliance is 2-3 versions old.  So I'm upgrading the existing appliance to version 5.3 and then restoring to the newly released OVA 5.3 appliance.

Two of my four instances has worked this way.  However, the one I ran into last night is the largest landscape and hung up at Step 3: Starting services (44 of 71).  Which is why I asked about troubleshooting the real time logs.  

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

OneVIew does not support restoring an older appliance backup to a newer appliance version.  Backups must be restored to the same MAJOR.MINOR version of the appliance.  There are internal DB changes between releases that the restore from an older release does not handle.  So I'm not sure how you are able to restore a backup from an olde appliance to a newer appliance version.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

DanCernese
HPE Pro

Are you saying that you upgrade your existing appliance, take a back of that.  Then install a new one and restore to the new one (of the same version)?  That's logical.

Anyway-- as Chris said, there are no real-time logs for updates.  The appliance support dump will have the history.

I am an HPE Employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo