108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Updating Proliant standalone server firmware with Oneview

SOLVED
Go to solution
JamesH1
Occasional Advisor

Updating Proliant standalone server firmware with Oneview

Hey there, I am attemping to update our DL360 and DL380 firmware via Oneview 3.10. 

These hosts are running ESX 6.5

I have created 2 server profile templates, added the new firwmare and selected the approriate hardware.

When I go to create the actual server profile, I am unable to select any server hardware, the only option is unassigned.

Not sure what I am missing here? Is it possible to update standalone servers firmware via Oneview?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
JamesH1
Occasional Advisor

View of Server Profile Template

JamesH1
Occasional Advisor

Doing a bit more reading here looks like I might be missing the "SUT" component

I see there is both a Windows version and Linux/ESXi version of SUT

My familarity with Linux is limited, can I update the ESXi hosts with the Windows versions of SUT?

Would be nice if they had an appliance version of SUT instead of needing to deploy via RPM package.

JamesH1
Occasional Advisor

Looks like Windows version isnt supported on virtual machines anyway, guess I am going to have to learn some Linux

JamesH1
Occasional Advisor

Alright got that part figured out, have SUT connected to Oneview and my vCenter host now

Feel like I am missing something still... calling HP support, will report back

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Sorry to see that you are running into issues.  From your first screenshot, you should have seen your Managed DL 360 servers, if one does not have an assigned Server Profile.  That list will be empty (with the exception of the Unassigned option) if you haven't added your servers to OneView as a managed resource or if they have an assigned Server Profile.

To configure the HPSUTESXi client, you need to not only specify the managementhost information, but also the vcenterhost parameter.

sutesxi -set managementhost=10.16.8.73 managementhostusername=administrator managmeenthostpassword=mypassword vcenterhost=myvcenterhost.address.com vcenterusername=vcenteradmin vcenterpassword=myvcenterpassword

This is documented in the HPSUT for VMware User Guide.

Then, you just need to set the Firmware Baseline to Online Firmware and Drivers, and then save the profile.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

JamesH1
Occasional Advisor
Solution

FYI spoke to support about this and they got me sorted

The issue was my servers were in "Monitoring" mode instead of "Managed" mode, I will have to delete them all and re-add them back in as Managed servers.

Just in case someone runs into the issue in the future! 

JamesH1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Chris, once I got my servers added back in as "Managed" as opposed to "Monitored" I was able to apply the firmware updates.

I think I am still having issues with SUT, but thats for another thread!